Transfer Student Admission

Transfer students are welcome at Houghton with preference given to individuals who present a grade-point average of 3.00 or higher. Transfer students are expected to reside initially in college housing unless they are students commuting from home.

Transfer students must submit an official transcript from all colleges attended in addition to a high school transcript and Christian character recommendation.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

  • Transfers must complete at least 30 hours at Houghton and earn at least 50 percent of their major hours here.
  • Transfer credits are accepted from institutions that are regionally accredited and listed by the U.S. Office of Education in its current Education Directory, Colleges and Universities.
  • A maximum of 32 hours of approved advanced placement (AP), CLEP, DSST, and Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) will transfer to Houghton.
  • Up to 67 credit hours may be transferred for appropriate courses completed with a grade of C- or above from a regionally-accredited community college or a Bible college accredited by the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE).    
  • The Academic Records Office, in consultation with relevant department chairs, will assess all transfer credits. Except as noted below, credit to meet Houghton requirements is granted on a course-by-course basis when it is reasonably clear that the course being transferred would, if taken at Houghton College, fulfill Houghton College requirements.
  • Only grades received at Houghton are used to figure the Houghton College grade point average; accepted hours earned elsewhere, however, will be posted to the Houghton transcript.
  • At least 62 credit hours must be taken at Houghton to be eligible for graduation Latin honors (cum laude, magna, or summa cum laude).

Transfer Students with a Full Year of College Credit

For students who have at least a full year of successful college experience as demonstrated by at least 25 transferable semester credit hours earned following high school graduation, a course-by-course assessment will still be done. However, if the year was spent in normal pursuit of a baccalaureate degree in an accredited baccalaureate program, courses of a general education nature taken in a discipline will count for a Houghton Integrative Studies requirement in that discipline even if the equivalent course taken at Houghton College would not so count. (E.g., courses in World Literature or World Civilization would meet Houghton’s requirements for Culture: Literature, or Culture: History.)

Junior Transfers from Four-Year Baccalaureate Institutions

For students who have been enrolled in a baccalaureate program and have successfully completed 60 or more semester hours of transferable credits, special considerations apply in meeting Houghton’s Integrative Studies requirements.

  1. Students who have earned at least 40 transferable hours from a single baccalaureate institution may complete either Houghton’s foreign language requirement or the foreign language requirement of the institution where the majority of transferable hours have been earned.
  2. Students who have earned at least 45 transferable hours in at least seven of the following 10 areas - writing, literature, communication, foreign language, social science, philosophy, fine arts, history, math, and science - need only take Biblical Literature or, if eligible, a 200 level Bible course (excluding BIBL 251 and BIBL 261) and Introduction to Christianity to complete their Integrative Studies requirements.

Students with an Associate Degree

Transfer students who have earned an associate in arts (A.A.) or associate in science (A.S.) degree from a regionally -accredited college may enter as juniors. Such students must take Biblical Literature or, if eligible, a 200 level Bible course (excluding BIBL 251 and BIBL 261) and Introduction to Christianity to complete their Integrative Studies requirements. This policy does not apply to students who have attended Houghton previously; nor does it apply to students who have earned an associate in applied science degree.

Transfer Agreements with Community Colleges

Houghton College has established formal transfer articulation agreements with community colleges across New York State. These agreements allow graduates who earn an A.A. or A.S. degree to transfer directly to Houghton with junior class standing. In most cases, such students are able to complete their Houghton degree in 2 years of full-time study.                

Houghton College has also established a 2+2 degree partnership with Monroe Community College in Rochester, NY. Students who are admitted to the 2+2 dual-admission program at MCC and meet specified requirements can be accepted to Houghton and assured of successful credit transfer and completion of their Houghton degree in 2 more years (in most cases). The following academic programs can be completed in the 2+2 program: adolescence education, art, biology, business administration, chemistry, communication, English, history, inclusive childhood education, mathematics, physical/health education, psychology and recreation.

Religious Observances

In compliance with New York’s Hevesi-Levy Act, Houghton College will accommodate any of its matriculated students who are unable to register for classes, take an exam, or attend a class because of religious beliefs (taken to mean the doctrinal beliefs of religious organizations which qualify as tax-exempt corporations under federal law).

Semester Schedule Load-Limit Policy

The flat-rate tuition plan at Houghton allows students to take 12 to 18 credits per semester, and a typical student’s course load is 15 or 16 semester hours. However, some special limitations and conditions apply.

  1. A student admitted under “light-load” provisions is not permitted to take more than 14 credit hours. (Note: Highlander Adventure [2 credits] will appear on the fall transcript but does not count against load limits.)
  2. The student on academic probation is not permitted to take more than 15 hours. Any other student in good standing may take up to 17 hours. However, a student on academic guidance who wishes to take 16 or 17 hours must have the explicit approval of the advisor.
  3. To take 18 credit hours, a student must have the specific permission of his or her advisor recorded on a form in the Academic Records Office.
  4. To take 19 credit hours, a student must petition the associate dean for academic affairs through the academic petitions committee for permission to do so. This academic petition requires the approval of the advisor.
  5. Special circumstances may be addressed through academic petition. (Academic petition blanks and load-limit forms are available in the Academic Records Office or on the Academic Records website.

    The student’s choice of courses, once made and filed, is expected to be permanent for the semester. In order for a student to drop or add a course...

    • The student must contact/visit his or her academic advisor
    • The advisor will then email the following to Academic Records and all the instructors involved (both dropping and adding):
    1. To all concerned: Please forward this email (not repyl all) to Academic Records to confirm these drops and adds."
    2. Student name
    3. Added courses
    4. Dropped/Withdrawn courses
    5. Intercollegiate athlete?
    • Academic Reocrds will gather all the relevant emails and change the student's schedule once all confirmations are received.

    Drop/Add Permission

    Courses (including independent studies and tutorials) may not be added for credit after the first ten academic days. Courses from which a student withdraws during the third through the tenth weeks will be recorded with a grade of “W”. Courses discontinued within the last four weeks of the semester are assigned “F”. Half semester courses do have different dates for adding, dropping and withdrawing. Check the website. Students are not officially withdrawn from a course until all of the relevant emails concerning the drop or withdraw change of schedule or an official change of schedule form has been received by the Academic Records Office. (See Mayterm policy for additional important information.)

    Classroom Attendance

    Students are expected to attend classes. Each instructor will state expectations in the course syllabus that is to be distributed at the start of each semester.

    Policy on awarding credit hours through coursework

    Academic credit is granted by Houghton College through coursework when a student is assessed by the instructor of record as having performed academically at a passing level in the course, as guided by the grading policies of the College, and when one of the following can also be documented:

    1. For each credit hour, the student receives at least 15 hours (each defined as 50 minutes) of instruction. For this purpose, instruction is defined as including live or pre-recorded lectures/presentations and all directly synchronously supervised or observed time on task, whether face to face or at a distance.  For each credit hour, the student also completes course-related work outside of instructional time which requires at least 30 hours of time on task for a typical student. 
    2. For each credit hour, the student is expected to complete independent course-related work which requires at least 45 hours of time on task (as defined above).
    3. For each credit hour, the student is expected to complete course-related work and receives instruction (each as defined above) in any combination that sums to at least 45 hours.

    Minimum expectations for time on task for various common learning activities, which have been determined through a synthesis of existing research and a review of policies at other institutions, include:

    Learning activityAdditional commentsTypical minimum time on task
    Assigned reading Reading rate for learning 3 minutes per page (approx. 100 words per minute)
    Journal/personal and science lab report writing 0.5 hours per each page of writing (approximately 250 words)
    Participation in online dialogue(s) Asynchronous via text, audio and/or video (Synchronous time would be counted as instructional) 1 hour for 5 postings (original or in response to other posters), each of which consists of at least 5 sentences or 30 seconds of recorded material
    Researched paper or presentation (live or recorded, individual or group): research component

    Supervised time would be counted as instructional

    1.5 hours per finished page or per 30 seconds of live/recorded presentation
    Researched paper: writing/editing component Supervised time would be counted as instructional 1.5 hours per finished page
    Researched presentation (live or recorded, individual or group): preparation component Script-writing, PowerPoint creation, audio/video recording, editing, and related tasks 2 hours per 30 seconds of live/recorded presentation
    Subject-specific learning activities that clearly fall outside the categories above See paragraph below Designated in syllabi, based on disciplinary standards and departmental/area agreement

    For a number of learning activities, such as audio or video listening/viewing or conversational practice for language acquisition, time on task is set by the length of the assigned material itself. For active learning situations such as field experiences and internships, unsupervised time on task is normally dictated by the particular context, and must be documented in syllabi. Moreover, because specific assignments involving research, writing, creative production or skill development may vary significantly depending on subject matter and level of difficulty, instructors may also provide charts similar to the one above in individual syllabi, designating the expected time on task for each assignment. Any such designation will demonstrate conformity to accepted practice in the particular field of study and will also be consistently applied within the department or academic area. For example, for individual studio instruction in music at Houghton College, hours of academic credit are granted according to the following formulas (based on National Association of Schools of Music norms):

    Credit hoursIndividual studio instruction hoursStudent practice hours outside of lesson time
    1 7 42
    2 7 84
    3 14 126
    4 14 168
    5 21 210


    Courses may be audited with permission from the professor. This involves enrolling for the course, attending, but receiving neither grade nor academic credit. Charges vary according to the type of course being audited and the rest of the student’s load. The full policy can be found at the Academic Records Office.


    Dual-counting addresses the situation in which a single course satisfies requirements in more than one major or minor subject. A student’s program in each major must have a minimum of 24 distinct credits and in each minor a minimum of 12 distinct credits. Credits beyond these minimum distinct credits may be dual-counted as permitted by individual major/minor requirements. That is, a course that meets requirements for both a major and a minor (or two majors, etc.) may be used toward both if such a course is beyond the minimum 24/12 distinct hours for the major/minor. This policy also applies to courses that are cross-listed, (identified by more than one prefix) as long as the course-level requirements for those cross-listed courses are the same. Courses that are not the same should be identified by different numbers as well as different prefixes. The restrictions on dual-counting described above do not apply to courses that fulfill both integrative studies requirements and the requirements of a major or minor. Integrative studies courses may be counted toward a major or minor subject without limitation. Neither do the restrictions on dual-counting apply to concentrations associated with the Inclusive Childhood Education major.

    Final Exam Policy

    If a student believes the scheduling of too many exams in one day poses a problem, she or he may appeal to the area associate dean. Written (email is acceptable) approval by the faculty member who is being asked to move an exam should be forwarded to the area associate dean.

    Grading System

    A literal system is used in the grading of college course work as follows:

    GradeNumerical gradeQuality pointsQuality pointsQuality points
    A = Excellent (94-100%) A = 4.00 A- = 3.67
    B = Good (85-93%) B+ = 3.33 B = 3.00 B- = 2.67
    C = Average (73-84%) C+ = 2.33 C = 2.00 C- = 1.67
    D = Passing (65-72%) D+ = 1.33 D = 1.00 D- = 0.67
    F = Below minimum standards F = 0
    • W-Withdrawn. A grade applicable to a withdrawn course from the third through the tenth week of classes.
    • I-Incomplete. A temporary grade limited to a course in which a student has been excused for illness or given an extension for another significant reason. An incomplete grade is to be made up within five weeks of the close of the semester, which is the last day of final exams. At that time, the professor will submit a grade based on work completed by that time. Incomplete forms must be obtained from the Academic Records Office.
    • P-Satisfactory work done (equivalent to a regular grade of D or above). Gives semester hours but no quality points.
    • S-Satisfactory work done (equivalent to a regular grade of C- or above). Gives semester hours but no quality points. 
    • U-Unsatisfactory work. Credit is not earned from the course and does not figure in the overall quality point average.
    • M-No grade assigned. May be used at mid-semester when a class has not commenced, or for student teachers, or when special permission is granted by the Academic Records Office. It can never be used at the end of a semester or a summer session. 
    • NR-Not Recorded grade. Used only for courses extending beyond one semester.

    Midterm grade policy: Midterm grades are for all first-year students and any upper class student who has a C- or lower.

    Satisfactory/D/Fail Coursework

    In order to encourage students to sample challenging and unfamiliar coursework they might otherwise avoid, full-time juniors and seniors in good standing with the college may take up to four hours per semester, but no more than 12 hours cumulatively, of Satisfactory/D/Fail coursework. Work equivalent to a letter grade of C- or better is required in order to earn “Satisfactory”. When a student is taking the course for S/D/F, Ds and Fs are included in the grade point average. In order to take a course S/D/F, students must be carrying at least 12 hours of standard, graded coursework during the same semester. Faculty members will not be made aware of whether any students in the course are taking it S/D/F and will report all grades for the course as regular letter grades. Because the S/D/F option is intended to encourage student exploration of electives, it may not be used for courses meeting requirements in a student’s major, minor, or concentration, or for their pre- and co-requisites, or for Integrative Studies requirements.

    Grade Grievance Procedure

    The college has approved a formal procedure for resolving those occasions when a student actively disagrees with the grade received in a course. The steps are:

    1. Within the first two weeks of the subsequent semester, the student will meet with the instructor. If a grade inaccuracy is determined, the instructor will process a grade change request.
    2. If agreement cannot be reached, the student may contact the instructor’s department chair, in writing, within ten working days after the meeting with the instructor. If agreement is reached, a grade change request is processed. If there is no agreement, or if the instructor is also the department chair, go to the next step.
    3. The student may appeal the decision to the associate dean for academic affairs (ADAA), in writing, again within 10 working days. The ADAA shall investigate carefully and render a decision, which shall be final. If the decision is to reconsider the grade: 
      • The ADAA shall, within 10 days, form a panel of uninvolved, tenured faculty from the instructor’s department. (From a designated pool, the ADAA, the instructor, and the student will each select one member of the panel.)
      •  The panel, within 30 days, will review all appropriate material and determine the final grade. The panel may retain the original grade or assign a new grade (which may be higher or lower than the grade in question), and it will so inform the records office.

          Quality Point Average (also known as grade point average)

          To derive a scholastic average for all of a student’s courses each semester, letter grades are assigned numerical equivalents (as shown above) then multiplied by the credit hours for the course. The quality point equivalents grade point for all courses taken are totaled, then divided by the total number of letter grade hours carried. (see example below)

          Biblical Literature 4 C 2.00 8.00
          Western Civilization 2 B 3.00 6.00
          Intro to Calculus 4 D+ 1.33 5.32
          Intro to Psychology 4 B+ 3.33 13.32
          Spanish Level 2 4 A- 3.67 14.68
          Totals 18 47.32
          QPA = 47.32 divided by 18 = 2.682

          Courses taken off-campus under Houghton College direction (see special studies section) are considered to be work taken at Houghton College and grades will be recorded. For all other satisfactory off-campus course-work, regular letter grades are not recorded on the transcript.

          Repeating a Course

          Students have the option of repeating courses in which they received D+ or lower. In such cases, the higher grade will count in GPA calculations, but the course credit hours earned will count only once. Both courses and both grades remain on the transcript with an indication of which course is counted. A student may only repeat a previously passed course once. Failed courses may be repeated until successfully passed. Students needing to repeat a course more than twice should consult with the Student Financial Services Office. Repeating a course may influence a student’s financial aid or athletic or other co-curricular eligibility.

          Eligibility for Participation

          Being in good standing with the college is a prerequisite for participating in college activities, whether for curricular or co-curricular purposes, including but not limited to:

          • intercollegiate athletics;*
          • leadership roles in the Student Government Association;
          • leadership in clubs and other student organizatons;
          • any study for academic credit that is not on Houghton's main campus (e.g., off-campus programs)
          • opera and musical theater production performances or production staff;
          • dramatic productions performances or production staff, whether curricular or student-led;
          • touring with music ensembles.

          Students in good standing will have passed 24 credit hours over the last two semesters ** in school (including Mayterm and summer work following those semesters) with a cumulative quality point average of 2.0 and must not be on disciplinary probation nor have unaddressed chapel attendance deficiencies. (**with equivalent conversion of quarter hours into semester hours if necessary)

          Notes: *There are eligibility requirements for intercollegiate athletes governed by an external intercollegiate association that are not addressed here. In addition, this policy does not apply to intramural sports participation (see the Student Handbook for further detailed information on both intercollegiate and intramural participation). Other notes: This policy applies to full-time (minimum of twelve hours), and not part-time, students. Student membership, as compared to leadership, in other student clubs is exempted from this policy except as outlined in the bullets above. Some campus leadership positions require a higher cumulative quality point average than 2.0, and a student’s eligibility should be reviewed prior to elections for these leadership positions or other participation. Music majors participating in curricular music major ensemble performances on the College's main campus are exempted from this policy. Eligibility lists for continued participation in college activities are reviewed by the Academic Records Office and by appropriate college officials at the end of each semester. Exceptions to this policy may be considered by petition to the academic or co-curricular administrator in the relevant area.

          Academic Honesty

          Honesty is the foundation on which all intellectual endeavors rest. To use the ideas of others without acknowledging the authors of those ideas belies the nature and purpose of academic life. At Houghton, where we strive to live out Christian calling and commitment, personal integrity, including academic honesty, should be the hallmark of all of our work and relationships.

          Students are expected to exhibit extreme care relative to personal honesty in all academic work, including in-class and out-of-class learning experiences, such as exams, quizzes, journals, papers, research projects, etc. Dishonest work includes but is not limited to the following:

          1. obtaining aid or information without giving due recognition to the sources from which the aid or information was obtained. Such dishonesty encompasses 1) asking to copy or copying other students’ work to claim as one’s own on an exam or assignment of any kind and 2) all forms of plagiarism. Plagiarism includes using ideas, words, or phrases from any source without citing that source and downloading or purchasing papers or parts of papers from others or the World Wide Web and claiming such work as one’s own.
          2. giving aid or information when it is clearly inappropriate to do so, such as providing answers for an exam or writing a portion of a paper or an entire paper for someone, including the selling of one’s work.

          Faculty members are required to report all offenses to the associate dean for academic affairs who will ensure that an appropriate record is kept. Students found guilty of intentional dishonesty will automatically receive a failing grade for that work. Instructors may require that such work be redone to their satisfaction as a requirement for passing the course. Nothing higher than the failing grade, however, can figure into the calculation of the final grade. Student questions about appropriate collaboration on specific assignments should be addressed to the faculty member.

          At the associate dean for academic affairs’ discretion, repeated offenses may result in failure of the course or dismissal from the college. If a student is already on disciplinary probation, any offense may result in suspension or dismissal by the dean of student life. Unauthorized use of college computing equipment, facilities, or programs may also be considered grounds for disciplinary probation, suspension, or dismissal from the college.

          Academic Advising

          Effective student advising contributes to a productive and successful college experience. Advising includes a variety of tasks: course selection, choice of major and minor, monitoring student progress, referring students to support services, and helping students connect their studies to potential career choices. In all of these ways advising complements teaching. But advising can be more, becoming at its best a dynamic relationship between student and professor that encourages students to cultivate thinking and learning skills associated with the liberal arts and to explore their abilities and interests in light of Christian faith and God’s calling in their lives.

          All entering students are assigned a faculty advisor. When students have a strong interest in an academic major, every effort is made to provide an advisor whose area of expertise matches the students’ interest. Students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor at least once each semester and at any time they have questions that the advisor can address or for which he or she can provide appropriate resources. When a student selects a new major, the department chair will assign an appropriate advisor. To select courses, students must obtain their academic advisor’s approval. Although advisors provide guidance, it is the student’s responsibility to understand academic policies and complete all requirements for a degree. Contact the Academic Records Office or the associate dean for academic affairs with any questions.


          To receive classification as a sophomore, the student must have a minimum of 28 semester hours of accumulated credits; as a junior, a minimum of 60 hours; as a senior, a minimum of 90 hours. The student must also have maintained a quality point average of 2.0 for unconditional classification in any class.

          Academic Guidance & Probation

          Each incoming student is assigned a faculty advisor who is responsible for academic advising during the first year. A student receiving a semester quality point average below 2.0 but who is not placed on academic probation is placed on academic guidance and is encouraged to work closely with the advisor.

          A student whose cumulative quality point average for Houghton College work falls below the following guidelines at the conclusion of a semester is considered in serious academic difficulty and is placed on academic probation, and the student is required to meet with the advisor to develop a plan for academic improvement. Such a student is limited to 15 credit hours in the following semester. (Hours earned includes transfer hours.)

          • If the total credit hours are less than 15, GPA must be at least 1.0.
          • If the total credit hours are at least 15, but less than 27, GPA must be at least 1.5.
          • If the total credit hours are at least 27, but less than 39, GPA must be at least 1.75.
          • If the total credit hours are at least 39, GPA must be at least 2.0.
          • Two semesters in a row with a semester GPA below 2.0 also results in probationary status.

          The placement of students on guidance and probation occurs at the end of the semester grading period. If additional information is received that changes or completes the record, any change in status is made at the discretion of the associate dean for academic affairs.

          Academic Dismissal

          A student is academically dismissed if he or she meets the criteria for probation two semesters in a row.

          Any student dropped from the college for academic reasons may petition the Admission Committee for readmission. The case will be carefully studied to see if there is a basis for resuming the college program at Houghton.

          A student dropped from the student body for the above reason and readmitted by the Admission Committee is placed on academic probation and must maintain a quality point average of 2.00 or higher for each semester thereafter in order to remain in college.

          Scholastic Honors

          President’s List – Recognizes students who complete a minimum of 12 hours with a 4.0 quality point average for the semester – no incompletes or Fs allowed.

          Dean’s Honor List – Recognizes students who complete a minimum of 12 hours with a quality point average for the semester of 3.75-3.999 – no incompletes or Fs allowed.

          Dean’s List – Recognizes students who complete a minimum of 12 hours with a quality point average for the semester of 3.5-3.749 – no incompletes or Fs allowed.

          Graduation Honors

          The faculty will select for graduation honors students of outstanding scholarship. Beginning with commencement 2010, for the recognition of cum laude, the student must have a cumulative quality point average of at least 3.5; for magna cum laude, at least 3.7; and for summa cum laude, at least 3.9. Students transferring from other colleges must complete 62 hours in Houghton College in order to be eligible for graduation honors. Graduation honors as published in the May commencement program are based on the cumulative record at the end of the spring (normally eighth) semester, including the valedictorian and salutatorian. In order to be eligible to be valedictorian or salutatorian, the student must be full-time in spring, a May grad, and have earned a minimum of 90 Houghton College credits.

          Honors Project

          Outstanding students may be candidates for honors study projects and commencement citations in their major fields. To be declared eligible to undertake this special study program, a student must have a cumulative quality point average of 3.25 and a 3.4 average in the major (courses numbered 200 and above). A proposal must be prepared and submitted for approval over one year prior to graduation. Guidelines and policy details can be found at the Academic Records Office.

          Independent Study

          Independent study is a directed course in reading or research in which the student pursues an approved topic of general or special interest and meets with the instructor for direction, progress reports, and evaluation. To be eligible for independent study, a student must have unconditional standing as a sophomore or higher and must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better.

          An application for independent study should be submitted during the semester prior to the semester of study. Mayterm/summer independent study applications should reach the Academic Records Office by April 1.

          A student may take independent study for variable credit (one to four hours maximum during a semester) up to a maximum of 12 semester hours toward graduation. Any faculty member may supervise the independent study project, which must not duplicate a regular course. The burden of responsibility for learning will be on the student. Work on an independent study is to be completed within the semester, as in other courses. Because independent study presumes some prior acquaintance by the students with the field to be studied, an independent study may not be used to satisfy integrative studies requirements.

          Students wanting to use an independent study to become full-time MUST submit their independent study paper work during the semester prior to the semester in which they intend to enroll. IF a student is not full-time prior to billing (middle of November for spring semester), the bill and financial aid will be incorrect due to the missing hours. IF a student will be considered full-time without the independent study the absolute cutoff date for submission is on or before the seventh calendar day after the first day of classes.


          Many academic programs at Houghton College recognize a field placement experience as an integral component of professional preparation. Internships are considered to be quality experiential learning opportunities, generally in off-campus, nonacademic settings. They are intended as highly structured, professionally supervised experiences and usually occur during the junior or senior year of the student’s academic program. Internships require approval by the supervising academic department and extensive involvement by the student. Supervision is a shared responsibility between the academic department and the selected field agency. Students need to be enrolled in their internships prior to beginning the experience. They should enroll in the term (fall, spring, Mayterm or summer) when they are doing the field placement.  They cannot enroll for the internship in a previous or subsequent semester to take advantage of a different year's tuition. Summer internships are specifically included in the Mayterm policy and students and advisors should calculate the hours carefully when contemplating tuition-free internships.

          Tutorial Study

          Tutorial work is for the benefit of the student who needs a currently unavailable course; for example, one not scheduled for the semester when it is essential for graduation. Tutorial courses must be from the regular college catalog. Course approval and registration for tutorial courses shall be made in advance of the instructor’s assigning any tutorial work for credit. Concurrence by the advisor, instructor, department chair, and associate dean for academic affairs is required. The forms to be used for a proposed tutorial are available in the academic records office.

          A tutorial fee shall be charged (see information on expenses). The instructor must meet with the student for the purpose of giving instruction and directing the tutorial work for a minimum of 7.5 clock hours for each hour of credit to be earned.


          Mayterm begins on the Tuesday immediately following Commencement. Participation in Mayterm is voluntary. The academic purpose is to permit students to take additional hours of credit before commencing summer employment. In general, catalog courses are offered. Students and professors also are encouraged to work together on campus doing independent studies. Off-campus practicums, if desired, are arranged by the department chair. Travel in the U.S.A. and abroad is a feature of this period. See Financial Information section for tuition information.


          Students of outstanding ability who are accepted by an accredited professional school after the completion of three years of undergraduate work may qualify for the appropriate degree by transferring back to Houghton credit for the first two years of professional study, thus shortening by one year their professional training. Such students will be taking their senior year in absentia. In such instances the Houghton degree will be conferred at the end of the second year of professional studies. Senior-in-absentia privilege does not apply to AA or AAS students.

          The privilege described above may be available to students wishing to enter professional training for a career in medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, or engineering. Students entering nursing also may qualify for the senior-in-absentia privilege by transferring two years of nurse’s training for the Houghton degree.

          Preliminary application for the senior-in-absentia privilege must be made to the Houghton associate dean for academic affairs in the spring of the sophomore year. Additional details on this plan may be obtained from the academic records office. Students should notify the office of records at the beginning of their senior year. All senior-in-absentia students are considered August graduates.

          Withdrawal from college

          Any student in good standing is entitled to honorable withdrawal at any time. A student desiring to withdraw from the college (or one who does not plan to return the following semester) must obtain an application for withdrawal from the Academic Records Office. After securing the appropriate signatures, the student must have the record cleared by the Student Financial Services Office. The form must be properly completed and filed with the Academic Records Office before the student leaves campus. Withdrawal from college without accomplishing the above procedure will result in forfeiture of the right to honorable dismissal. No refunds (if applicable) will be made by the Student Financial Services Office until the Academic Records Office certifies that the withdrawal procedure has been properly completed.

          A student called away during the semester by an emergency (including military duty) and who finds it impossible to resume must notify the Academic Records Office of withdrawal immediately. Unless this notice is filed within three weeks, the student may forfeit the right to honorable dismissal and receive a grade of F in each course.

          A student who withdraws or terminates must leave the ID card with the Student Financial Services Office at the signing of the withdrawal or termination notice. If the ID card has been lost or misplaced, a statement must be signed to that effect.

          Medical Leave

          If a student has a medical condition (physical or psychological) that interferes with that student’s ability to perform academically, or if that student’s behavior/condition is such that other students are being hindered in their academic/living environment, a medical leave from the college may be granted. Such leave is granted by the dean of students. This is not a disciplinary action, and students given medical leave are encouraged to return to the college to continue their studies as soon as they are able to do so. An evaluation may be required to ascertain whether the behaviors/conditions that warranted the granting of the leave have been sufficiently addressed.

          Center for Academic Success and Advising

          Houghton College offers learning support for students through the Center for Academic Success and Advising Office. Any student may come to CASA for analysis of study strengths and weaknesses, or advice on study and examination strategies. Students may request course-specific peer tutoring. Learning support for students with disabilities is also offered.

          Students with Disabilities

          Houghton provides academic support services to students with disabilities including those with learning, mobility, sensory, health, or psychological impairments. These services include liaison with faculty members, promotion of self-advocacy skills, and securing appropriate classroom accommodations. Study skills counseling and tutoring are also available. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the director of the Center for Academic Success and Advising during the application process to discuss required documentation and appropriate accommodations. Documentation should be no more than three years old. Diagnosis by an appropriately trained professional is required.

          Students needing academic adjustments or learning support services must contact the Director of the Center for Academic Success and Advising (585.567.9239).

          Students needing facility adjustments must contact the Director of Facilities (585.567.9480).

          The complete “Policy for Students with Learning-Related Disabilities” may be obtained from the Center for Academic Success and Advising or from the Admission Office.

          Academic Petitions

          Each student at Houghton may petition the associate dean for academic affairs, through the academic petitions committee, regarding any academic matter. Specific actions requiring petition include: waiver of a specific academic requirement, waiver of a specific academic rule or stipulation, permission for a special academic condition or activity, or a request to take more than 18 credit hours in a semester.

          Actions not requiring petition action: permission for 18 hours (use “Request for Academic Overload” form), permission to increase credits in variable-credit course (use “Change of Schedule” form), or permission to attend off-campus program (use specific application).

          Further information is available in the Academic Records Office.