Putting rankings in perspective
From best value, to the safest campus, to academic reputation, there are rankings lists for everything these days when it comes to colleges and universities.
So what does this mean for YOU in choosing a college?
Rankings are helpful in assessing how colleges compare on important items like academic reputation, selectivity, career placement rate, financial aid, and more. Some even factor student opinion rankings.
These lists have their place – and Houghton has some pretty great distinctions – but they’re only one piece of the search puzzle, unable to capture the full campus experience, how a community helps you discover your God-given calling, and which college will “fit” you best.
So, how does Houghton fare in college rankings?
Here's a sampling:
- A Best National Liberal Arts College (U.S. News and World Report for 2018)
- A Best College for Your Money (Money Magazine 2017)
- One of the Best Colleges in the Northeast (Princeton Review, 2018)
- Best Value (College Factual/USA Today, 2018):
- Top 3 percent in New York, 3 percent in the U.S.
- Top 1 percent nationally for value for psychology, fine and studio arts
- Top 2 percent nationally for communication & media studies, general biology
- 650 Top Colleges (Forbes Magazine for 2017)
- Included on liberal arts list
- One of the top 195 colleges in Northeast
- One of 200 schools with most "Grateful Grads"
- Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education 2018 College Rankings
- One of the Top 25 Online Christian Colleges and Universities (Christian Universities Online, 2017)