Putting rankings in perspective
From best value, to the safest campus, to academic reputation, there are rankings lists for everything these days when it comes to colleges and universities.
So what does this mean for YOU in choosing a college?
Rankings are helpful in assessing how colleges compare on important items like academic reputation, selectivity, career placement rate, financial aid, and more. Some even factor student opinion rankings.
These lists have their place – and Houghton has some pretty great distinctions – but they’re only one piece of the search puzzle, unable to capture the full campus experience, how a community helps you discover your God-given calling, and which college will “fit” you best.
So, how does Houghton fare in college rankings?
Here's a sampling:
- A Best National Liberal Arts College (U.S. News and World Report for 2017)
- One of the Best Colleges in the Northeast (Princeton Review, 2017)
- Best Value (College Factual/USA Today, 2017):
- Top 2 percent in New York, 3 percent in the U.S.
- Top 1 percent nationally for music, communication and media studios, and fine and studio arts.
- Top 2 percent nationally for psychology
- Top 50 Best Christian Colleges in the U.S. (Christian Universities Online, 2017)
- 300 Best College Values (Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine)
- Top 20 small colleges for value in New York State (Great College Deals)
- A top freshman retention rate for rural, four-year private nonprofit institutions (Chronicle for Higher Education)
In addition to Houghton’s national recognition, the college also fares well in comparison to other educational institutions in Western New York. According to Buffalo Business First’s 2015 College Guide, Houghton ranked at or near the top in some important categories when compared with other colleges in the Western New York region:
Highest SAT Scores (75th percentile score)
- University of Buffalo = 1260
- Houghton College = 1235
Best retention rate (percentage of first-year students who return for a second year)
- Houghton College = 87.6%
Best graduation rate (percentage of students who earn a bachelor's degree in six years or less)
- Houghton College = 73.9%