Frequently Asked Questions

How do I select courses on-line?

How do I add a class?

  • Have your advisor and the instructor of the course email Academic Records with approval of the add
  • Full-semester courses may be added only during the first  week of the semester (see  on-line Important Dates)
  • Half-semester courses may be added only during the first week of the course
  • Instructions for Selecting Courses On-line

How do I drop/withdraw from a class?

  • A class is considered "dropped" only during the first week of the semester. After that, it will be a withdrawal
  • Have your advisor and the instructor of the course email Academic Records with approval of the drop/withdrawal
  • A dropped course will not appear on the permanent record and will not be counted when calculating tuition-free Mayterm; a withdrawn course will appear on the permanent record and will be counted when calculating tuition-free Mayterm
  • *Students must maintain 12 hours each semester in order to be considered full-time
  • Dropping/Withdrawing from a course may affect athletic eligibility. Please ask!
  • Instructions for Selecting Courses On-line

What happens when I change my schedule?

  • First  week of the semester: The dropped course will not be retained as attempted hours and will not appear on the academic record. Courses may be added only during this time period
  • Second full week through last day to withdraw from a class:
    • Full semester classes may not be added
    • Course will be considered a "withdrawal," will be counted as attempted hours, and will appear on the academic record as "W"
    • Attempted hours are included when calculating tuition free Mayterm
    • Withdrawing from a course may affect athletic eligibility. Please ask!

How many credits may I take a semester?

  • Eighteen hours is the maximum for a semester without a petition. Payment of an additional fee will be required for any hours over 18.

How do I declare a major?

  • Contact the chair of the department your new major is in. He/she will email Susan Martin in Academic Records with your declaration and new advisor.

How do I declare or change a minor after I have declared a major?

  • Email Susan Martin. She will process your minor declaration.

How can I access my grades on-line?

  • Log in to the Student Self-Service
  • Click on the "Grades" tab
  • Select "Unofficial Transcript" or "Grade Report"

How do I have my grades sent to my parents/guardian?

  • Incoming students complete a Student Consent Form through Student Life when they arrive on campus that includes an option to have grades emailed to parents/guardians.
  • If you did not fill out the Student Consent Form, you can complete it at the Student Life office in the Campus Center.

What do I do if I forget who my advisor is?

  • Log in to the Student Self-Service
  • Click on the "View Schedule" link under "Students" on main SSS page.
  • Be sure the current semester is selected and click "submit"
  • Your advisor is listed under credit information with your curriculum, status as part/full time, and class level

What do I do if I want to take courses at home over the summer?

  • Obtain a Non-Houghton Prior Approval form or at the ARO. 
  • Provide course descriptions to the ARO for integrative studies approval. 
  • Provide course descriptions to department chair for major, minor or concentration approval. 
  • Obtain approval signatures or emails and submit to ARO. 
  • When course is completed and grades are posted, request an official transcript be sent to ARO. 
  • Credits will only be transferred in for courses in which the student received a C- or above.

How many credits do I need to be considered . . . ?

  • A full time student: 12 credits
  • Sophomore: 28 credits
  • Junior: 60 credits
  • Senior: 90 credits

How do I figure my GPA in my major?

  • Look at your unofficial transcript on SSS
  • Add the Quality Points in your major courses
  • Divide the Quality Points by the GPA credits in those courses
  • Be sure that you do not count pre- or co-requisites when figuring out your GPA for your major

Can I improve my GPA by repeating a course?

  • Students can only repeat courses in which they received "D+" or lower. When a course is repeated at Houghton, only the higher grade will count in the calculation of the cumulative average. The hours count only once. Both courses and both grades remain on the transcript with an indication of which course is cou nted. Repeating a course may influence a student's financial aid or sports eligibility. (Policy found in the Houghton College Catalog)

What are the procedures for taking an Independent Study?

How do I request a transcript?

How do I request a duplicate diploma? 

If you find that you are in need of a replacement diploma, please mail the following information along with a check payable to “Houghton College” for $15.00:

  • Name to be printed on diploma
  • Year graduated (if you remember)
  • Degree earned
  • Maiden Name (if applicable)
  • Birthdate (for verification rather than SS#)
  • Address to mail the new diploma
  • Your Signature

This information and the $15.00 check payable to “Houghton College”, may be sent to:         

  • Houghton College
  • Attn: Academic Records
  • 1 Willard Ave
  • Houghton, NY 14744

Attn: Academic Records                     

1 Willard Ave                         

 Houghton, NY 14744

Once this information is received, your replacement diploma will be processed and in the mail within two weeks.  If you have any questions, please email .

What are Houghton's graduation requirements?

How do I find a graduation check list?

Who is eligible for graduation honors?

When will I receive my diploma?

  • Diplomas will be mailed to the address specified on the diploma order form after all grades have been received, the date of graduation has been set, and there is no outstanding bill with the college.

What are Houghton's residency requirements?

My parents' insurance company needs proof of enrollment. Who do I need to contact?

When is the Academic Records Office open?

Office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00-11:00AM and 1:00-4:00PM.  The office is generally closed for Thanksgiving (includes Wednesday through Friday), the week of  Christmas, January 1st, Good Friday, Memorial Day, and July Fourth.

The mission of the Academic Records Office is to facilitate the official interactions among students, faculty, and staff through the execution and administration of academic policies and practices. In addition to the ongoing functions listed below, we strive to provide courteous and helpful service to those who request our assistance. Our goal is to help ensure that all students have a productive and successful academic experience before, during, and after attendance.

At Houghton College students are equipped to "lead and labor as scholar-servants in a changing world," and we strive to model that in our dealings with individuals. We join in the College's efforts to facilitate spiritual transformation in our students' lives.

Primary Functions of the Academic Records Office include:

  • Administering academic policies
  • Course selection and offerings
  • Preparing the college catalogue each year
  • Degree audit and graduation certification
  • Academic transcript evaluation and processing
  • Custodial responsibility for academic records
  • Data generation for agencies on and off campus
  • Scheduling of courses and courses into classrooms
Back To Top