About the Center for Academic Success and Advising (CASA)


Academic Assistance

We encourage students to come to us if they:

  • Have academic difficulty in one or more classes
  • Feel overwhelmed by work
  • Have too much to do and not enough time to do it
  • Cannot seem to take good notes
  • Study a lot, but do poorly on exams

Study Advisement

We help students analyze their strengths and weaknesses in various aspects of learning. These findings then become the basis for course-specific study skills counseling.

College Study Methods

Students who need to improve their study techniques are encouraged to sign up for the one credit College Study Methods course, CCLS 102. All the above topics are covered. Class goals include developing an effective system for managing time, taking notes, and studying to learn.

Peer Tutoring

We work with faculty to select and train tutors.

Our office assigns these tutors to work with students in one-on-one or small group settings. Students wishing to use peer tutoring services should:

  • Come to ChC 222 for an interview
  • Commit to a tutoring schedule and agree to prepare appropriately for tutoring sessions

Learning-Related Disabilities

Additional services are available to properly documented students with learning-related disabilities. Accommodations can be offered for tests, lectures, and/or study. We help you work with your professors to explain the accommodations you require. Specialized counseling for unique learning problems is also offered.

If students suspect they have a learning disability we can provide advice on how to pursue documentation. Some in-house screening for learning disabilities is available.

Schedule an appointment in ChC 222 to discuss your own personal needs.

Grievance Procedure

Houghton College’s Grievance Procedure has been established in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the applicable regulations relating to the Act including the ADA and its amendments.  This procedure provides for a prompt and equitable resolution of any complaints regarding the College’s compliance.  Please contact the following offices to review the policy and procedure:  Center for Academic Success and Advising (CASA), Office of Student Life, and the Academic Dean’s Office.