What Are You Doing Here?
The Low-Motivation Profile
- See college as just something to do until something better comes along.
- Make time for class and study by squeezing them in among more important activities such as work or socializing.
- Want to do a minimimal amount of work possible to get a passing Grade.
- Look for the easiest way out when selecting courses.
- See instructors and the college system as set on making life miserable.
The High-Motivation Profile
- See College as an opportunity to develop themselves in ways that will help them meet their long-term life goals.
- Commit the time necessary for attending class to produce high-quality work.
- Look for ways to make classes more valuable by going beyond the minimum.
- Select classes that will challenge them and develop their potential.
- Look at the college experience with tolerance and patience for its short-comings, but with determination to take advantage of its possibilities.
Is This Going to Be on the Test? And Ten Other Questions that can Save Your College Career by Randall E. Majors