Houghton Down Under
Houghton in Australia and New Zealand
Houghton Down Under is Back! The program now offers students the opportunity to experience two countries: Brisbane and Melbourne, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand!
Apply Online Now Watch for next date to be offered.
Come Explore Your World, Your Faith, Your Heart, in three World Class Cities, Far, Far Away.
In Houghton Down Under, you will study Australian and New Zealand cultures and communities; including their art, music, film, history, and literature. Serve in the cities, hike in the bush and rainforest, swim in the South Pacific, and learn with local teachers--all amidst spectacular scenery, fantastic flora and fauna, and friendly people. In this travel semester, you will live and study in three urban centers in two countries. Pack lightly!
- Students will reside in a variety of locales ranging from college dormitories to hostels, hotels, and homestays.
- Students will be involved in service learning with a variety of agencies including the Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, local churches, and government councils.
- Routine health care is readily available through clinics in each location, and emergency medical care is available at nearby hospitals. Students must carry U.S. health insurance
Fall 2011 students overwhelmingly recommend the program to others! This cohort saw the program as an enriching educational experience in a setting that significantly added to the program. The students indicated that Houghton Down Under is a good investment for your education. The travel, academics, and homestays provide challenging opportunities to be stretched and move out of your comfort zone. A big plus is the input from the Australian and New Zealand instructors. Check it out for yourself!
Fall Semester 2011. Left August 24 and returned November 21.
Mid-late August, Return early December
The available courses are:
- Community and Society in Australia and New Zealand (4)
- Art and Music in Australia and New Zealand (4)
- Australia and New Zealand Culture Through Film (4)
- Engaging Australian and New Zealand Culture (4)
- Australian Literature (3)
Options currently include:
- Walking for Wellness (0, .5, 1)
Other options planned in art, communication, literature, music, and science.
A Houghton professor (to be determined) and up to 16 Aussie and Kiwi lecturers.
Houghton tuition plus program fees. Houghton financial aid applies for Houghton students.
Non-Houghton students are responsible to check with their school about Financial aid and billing.
Sample costs (Fall 2012):
- Tuition $13,387
- Program $6,182 (Includes room, board, fees, and roundtrip airfare from New York (JFK)or Los Angeles (LAX); (The gateway city could vary depending on availability.)
Students must acquire an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) to visit Australia. Cost is $20, as of October 2010. Students must also have health insurance that covers them while in Australia.
- Juniors and Seniors.
- Minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Passport current for at least 6 months beyond program end.
- By application only.
You may Apply Online Now. You must also send the recommendation form to the appropriate persons. Paper forms can be acquired from the Houghton OCP office. Early application is advantageous.
For More Information:
Program Director: Dr. Paul Young email@example.com
or Contact: Off Campus Program Office, (585) 567-9634 firstname.lastname@example.org