Houghton in Tanzania
Each spring semester: late January through late April
An intensive 12 week semester offering the unique opportunity to experience life in an African context. Students are exposed to Africa on a broad front including history, anthropology, environment, languages, politics, and religion. Students will see needs and evaluate them in the light of their Christian beliefs. Extended trips away from Iringa Houghton campus site include nearby game reserves and Wahehe and Maasai tribal villages.
Courses and Credits
12-18 hours. Options for major and integrative studies with courses such as:
- *SOC 293 East African Culture –4 hours
- *ANTH/SOC 315 Human Ecology
- *BIOL 207 Wildlife Behavior –4 hours
- INCL/INTR 311 Intercultural Experience –4 hours
- MISS 395 Missions in Africa –2 hours
- ENG 390 African Folklore –2 hours
* Required courses.
Optional courses may not be offered every year.
- Minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Juniors and Sophomores preferred. Seniors also accepted.
- Passport current beyond program end.
- By application only.
Rugged camp-like facilities at Houghton's Iringa, Tanzania, 200-acre site. Sleep in rustic cabins. Group hall for lectures, meals, study. Solar and hydro-power, good water supply and facilities. Field trips to game reserves, historical sites, and villages.
Houghton tuition plus fees and travel. Houghton financial aid applies for Houghton students.
Non-Houghton Students are responsible to check with their school regarding financial aid and billing.
Sample costs for Spring 2015:
- Tuition: $14,203
- Program: $5,370 (includes room, board, fees, and airfare from a gateway airport)
- TOTAL: $19,573
Apply Online Now. We are now accepting applications for Tanzania 2015.
Current Acceptance Process:
Applications may be submitted beginning in September 2013 for Spring 2015.
Tanzania Spring 2015: Receiving applications.
For More Information
Contact advisor above or the Off-Campus Programs Office:
OCP@houghton.edu or (585) 567-9634