Highlander Wilderness Adventure
The Highlander Wilderness Adventure program is more than just an adventure trip! It is a 2 credit hour course available only to incoming freshman and transfer students.
- The program runs during the last two weeks of August; just prior to the beginning of the first day of Fall classes.
- This unique program will stretch the person physically, socially and spiritually.
- Emphasis is placed upon problem-solving, group interaction and personal reflection all while living and trekking in the outdoors.
- This program is designed for the average student. No previous outdoor experience is necessary, but at the same time, the most experienced outdoor adventurer should find it challenging and rewarding.
- Program activities include: ropes initiatives course, backpacking, canoeing, rock-climbing, a solo experience and a 5 mile "marathon".
The H.W.A. goals are that the participants will:
- Experience joy after hardship.
- Learn skills that build self-confidence.
- Develop a network of close friends before school starts.
- Hone problem-solving skills.
- Look inward to self, outward to others and upwards to God.
The H.W.A. program is intended to be a catalyst for the Highlander process - a process of growth, challenge, and discipleship which finds its beginning long before the program itself and is expected to continue for a lifetime.
Registration: Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Program ends: Thursday, August 29th, 2013
*registration is limited-first come first serve basis
Payment & Deadline:
You must return a non-refundable$50.00 deposit (checks made payable to Houghton College) with your application form by June 1. The remaining $550 will be billed to your student account.
If you'd like to receive an application please complete the form below and send an email to highlanderadventure@houghton.
1 Willard Ave.
Houghton, NY 14744