International Student Application Process
Application requirements for international students (citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada) are outlined below:
In order to have your application for admission reviewed by the Admission Committee, the following items must be submitted:
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
- TOEFL/ILETS (required for non-English speaking students and may be required for students whose first language is not English)
- SAT-I/ACT (Optional. View our Testing Policy)
International Transfers: If you would like to have credits transferred from a University or College outside the United States and Canada, please have your transcripts evaluated and sent to admissions. We recommend the following companies:
- World Education Services: www.wes.org
- Spantran The Evaluation Company: www.spantran.com
- International Education Research Foundation: Credentials Evaluation Service: ierf.org
- International Education Evaluations, Inc.: www.foreigntranscripts.com
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Students from non-English speaking countries must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), administered by the Educational Testing Service, or the SAT-I. Students with a paper-based TOEFL score of 550 or higher, computer-based score of 213 or higher, or an Internet-based score of 80 or higher may be offered admission, providing all other factors are acceptable.
Houghton's TOEFL code is 2299. An acceptable Verbal score on the SAT-I will also fulfill the college's English proficiency requirement.
Students who score below an 80 on the TOEFL or who have not taken the TOEFL and wish to be considered for admission may be admitted provisionally and admitted into an intensive academic English track through our Pathway Plan.
The students admitted into the Pathway Plan take a minimum of one semester and possibly two semesters of Intensive Academic English for college language credit and have the opportunity to receive a minor in American Language and Culture. These credits count fully for the student degree at Houghton College. Upon successful completion of the Pathway Plan, students will be able to continue their academic studies at Houghton College.