Admission & Financial Aid for Transfer Students
Who is considered a transfer student?
Houghton defines a transfer student as anyone who has completed at least one full-time semester of college work after graduating from high school.
Application requirements and deadlines
Transfer Students may apply for either the fall or spring semesters.
In order to have your application for admission reviewed by the Admission Committee, the following items must be submitted:
- A completed application for admission
- An official college transcript from each college or university you have attended
- An official high school transcript if you have not received a college degree (i.e., A.A., A.S., B.A., etc.)
- A completed recommendation form
- A written personal statement
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (contact your counselor about getting this fee wiaved)
SAT and ACT scores
SAT or ACT scores are not required from transfer students who have taken at least a semester of full-time appropriate college coursework.
Scholarships for transfer students
Houghton offers need and merit-based financial aid for transfer students. Our Financial Aid Office exists to help provide resources for students to afford a Houghton education.
- Transfer students with a college GPA of at least a 3.25 will be considered for an Academic Scholarship.
- Members of Phi Theta Kappa in good academic standing will receive at least the starting-level Academic Scholarship.
- Our College Work-Study Program provides opportunity for students to work on campus and use funds earned toward living expenses, books, etc.
Applying for financial aid
In order to determine your eligibility for financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can complete this online at the FAFSA website. Make sure to enter Houghton's school code: 002734.
If you've already submitted your FAFSA and did not initially send the results to Houghton, you can log in to your FAFSA online and enter Houghton's school code (002734).
Feel free to contact our Financial Aid Office with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-777-2556.