New Alumni House
Walldorf House to be renovated and become Alumni House
Walldorf House was built in 1890 by George Walldorf as a boarding house where local people could meet together and out of town guests could stay the night. Early in the history of Houghton College, Willard J. Houghton made reference to the success of the "Walldorf Temperance Hotel" as evidence of a growing community surrounding the seminary.
In 1921, Elanor Woodhead deeded the building to the college in exchange for an annuity, and female students moved in shortly after. Later in its history, Walldorf housed boys from Houghton Academy. This arrangement continued until the current boys dorm was built, and Walldorf became men's housing for Houghton College again. During its most recent years, Walldorf was home to female Houghton students seeking to live in an intentional community environment.
The Alumni Board has proposed a use for Walldorf house that will bring it full circle back to its historical roots. The Alumni House will be a place where Houghton alumni can meet together and where out of town guests who are alumni can stay the night. Initial plans were drawn for the 125th anniversary celebration with the input of the alumni association board, and detailed
If you would like to be involved in this project in any way, including a financial gift to the project or through a gift in kind, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org , 585-567-9546, or
1 Willard Ave
Houghton, NY 14744