ROTC cadets at Houghton College can earn scholarships by applying in high school or applying for a two-year or three-year on-campus scholarship. The Army fully covers tuition at Houghton, paying full tuition and fees to each cadet.
In addition to the awarded scholarship, each cadet receives a flat rate of $1200 annually for books ($600 per semester), supplies and equipment, as well as up to $3,500 in spending money (tax free).
Also, each student receiving an ROTC scholarship is guaranteed at least $5,000 of Houghton College financial aid. Details are available through the Student Financial Services Office.
As a non-scholarship cadet, you are free to try the Basic Course of Army ROTC for up to two years (MS I/II courses) without any commitments to the US Army, just to see if it is right for you. Basic Course Classes count for elective credit (2 credits per semester for up to four semesters). Even if you decide not to pursue a career in the Army, this will allow you to put "U.S. Army leadership training" on your resume.
By entering the Advanced Course (MS III/IV courses) you agree to:
- Complete your ROTC instruction.
- Accept a commission as Second Lieutenant in the US Army.
- Satisfy your military obligations by serving in the Regular Army, Army Reserve, or National Guard
- U.S. Citizen
- 17 years of age before the scholarship is effective
- 920 on SAT or 19 on ACT
- Good high school grades
- Participant in leadership, extra-curricular, and athletic activities. (to include part-time work)
- Under 27 years old at time of commissioning
- High school grad or equivalent
- Agree to accept a commission upon graduation
- Meet physical standard