Major in Art at a Top Christian College
What a Major in Art looks like at Houghton
Earning your Major in Art from Houghton College will be a challenging and rewarding experience. Our art program is structured to develop an understanding of the meaning, both past and present, of art in society. A Major in Art is a diversified degree, offering opportunities such as visiting artists, on-campus exhibits in Houghton's Ortlip Gallery located in the Center for the Arts, and field trips that expose students to cultural resources in cities throughout the northeast.
A distinctively Christian Art program
As an art student working towards a Major in Art at Houghton you will gain confidence as you integrate your knowledge, creativity and Christian faith into the studio and learn from expert faculty committed to your academic, personal and spiritual development.
Study abroad program for art majors
The Houghton Art Department has a superb study abroad program, with department-sponsored trips to: New York City, Washington D.C., Boston, Cleveland, Toronto, Rochester and Buffalo. Every two years the art department offers European art-history experiences during May term, traveling to cities such as Paris, London, Florence, Rome, and Madrid.
Graduating with a degree in art
A Major in Art can open doors to a variety of careers. Art department alumni can be found working in a wide range of positions from teaching to professional art production. Houghton graduates have also found they are well prepared for graduate school and have been accepted into a number of top art graduate programs.
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Interdisciplinary honors opportunities
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State