A major in philosophy from Houghton College can enhance your preparation for a wide variety of careers, including (but not limited to) pastoral ministry, law, journalism, missions, teaching or public administration.
The Christian church always needs people who can think, and the philosophy major at Houghton teaches you to do just that. Guided by approachable and involved faculty, Philosophy majors are taught to analyze arguments, sort through complexities, and compare worldviews, exploring the connections between philosophy and other disciplines as well as the relationship between reason and faith.
Studying philosophy cultivates your ability to analyze and evaluate ideas and practices, present ideas forcefully, and defend yourself against intellectual fads and fashions—giving you the tools to face an increasingly complex world in a comprehensive and compelling way.
Why Major in?
- Obtain a broad overview of the history of philosophy while also digging deeply into the thoughts of a few important thinkers and topics.
- Analyze and understand the thoughts of others while learning to logically express and present your own.
- Fine-tune your intellectual skills, making you more valuable to employers.
- Wrestle with fundamental issues regarding what it means to be human, the nature of the world we live in, and the God who made it.
- Connect directly or indirectly with other disciplines to enhance your career opportunities.
- Explore a wide range of questions the answers to which strengthen the foundation of your worldview and assist you to think through the relationships of all branches of knowledge and practice within the Christian faith.
Excellent Career Preparation
Philosophy courses at Houghton connect directly or indirectly with many other areas, such as law, medicine, the arts, theology, business and even the sciences. This, together with the fact that the study of philosophy significantly enhances basic intellectual skills (such as critical thinking, conceptual analysis, reading comprehension and writing), makes the study of philosophy excellent pre-professional training, whether you’re thinking of pursuing work in church-related ministry (pre-seminary), law, education (elementary, secondary or college), missions, linguistics/translation, medicine, business, finance, counseling, government service, public administration, journalism, library science, relief work or just about any other field.
My Houghton experience helped me challenge my preconceived notions and biases. It didn’t make me think outside the box—it got rid of the box altogether! As an attorney helping hardworking Latinos solve their civil and business law matters, I am able to come up with creative and cost-efficient solutions for them.
Inti martínez-alemán '07
Founding attorney, Ceiba Fôrte Law Firm, PLLC