What We Do
- We help you with purchasing issues, vendor recommendations, and invoicing.
- We are a resource for product information.
- We have a large selection of catalogs.
- We negotiate discounts from a variety of vendors for the college and for employees.
- We can help trouble shoot order problems with vendors.
- We help obtain quotes for bus trips.
- We are your source for college credit cards.
If a purchasing card could help streamline your purchasing, please review the Purchasing Card web page for details. Contact us for any other questions about Houghton's PCard program.
Please use our preferred vendors when ordering supplies. They are:
- Office supplies - Office Max ( Formerly Boise Cascade)
- Furniture - Call Ellen for recommendations. Please do not select a vendor; we have several options for you.
- Personalized products - Hodgins Engraving: Contact Ellen about ordering personalized products such as nameplates, nametags and rubber stamps.
- Copier Supplies - COSI
Purchasing Tip: Do you have a backup printer cartridge for your area? It's a good idea to have one on hand to avoid frustration and work delays.
Emergency Supplies: If you have need of emergency supplies, contact Ellen Hatch by e-mail or x3300. Most office supplies are available for next day delivery.
Logo Supplies: We are your source for logo supplies such as letterhead, envelopes, laser labels and note cards. Just send an email with your account number and logo needs. Please copy your budget manager on the email for approval. We'll have it ready for you to pick up or you may request delivery for larger orders.
Copiers: Tech Services now administers the copiers on campus. Tech Services is happy to assist you in obtaining supplies, maintenance/repair or obtaining quotes on replacement equipment.
We have negotiated special deals for Houghton College employees with several of our favorite vendors. Office Max offers college discount pricing on all catalog items and free shipping on orders over $50.
Contact Ellen at email@example.com or at ext. 3300 for more information.
Follow the easy steps below to properly place the small order. The small order is an order under $1,000.
- Fill out the small order purchase form completely. This includes an account number, authorized signature and complete vendor information.
- Fax, phone or mail in your order using the white copy.
- Send the yellow copy of the SO form to the Accounts Payable Office (Dorothy Campbell) as soon as the order is placed.
- When the order is received, immediately send the goldenrod copy of the SO form to Dorothy, along with the packing slip and/or invoice.
- Keep the pink copy for your records.
Following these steps will ensure that the invoice is paid on time and all the necessary documentation has been collected for the Accounting Office.
If you encounter difficulties with your order, such as back orders, double shipments or other interesting problems, please call the Purchasing office for assistance. We are glad to help you resolve these problems.
Please follow the easy instructions below to place a large order which requires a purchase order. These are orders over $1,000.
- Fill out a Purchase Requisition form completely - account number, authorized signature, (VP must sign, since these are for orders over $1,000) complete vendor information, etc.
- Send the completed Purchase Req. to the Purchasing Office.
- The Purchasing office will generate a Purchase Order and place the order for you unless you indicate that you wish to place the order personally.
- The Purchasing office will send you pink and goldenrod copies of the Purchase Order.
- Send the goldenrod copy back to the Purchasing Office upon receipt of your order along with any packing slips and/or invoices. The pink copy is for your records.
Why do I need a Purchase Order?
The purchase order does a number of things for the purchaser, the vendor and the Purchasing office.
- The vendor knows that the order is a legitimate order from the college. By referencing the PO number on the invoice, the vendor will be paid much more quickly.
- The purchaser (that's you) has a document to refer to should there be discrepancies in pricing or quantities. Some vendors are notorious for getting orders confused.
- The PO is a budget control, which helps the cost center manager to manage departmental monies more effectively.
- The Purchasing office is able to assist the purchaser, vendor and accounts payable in tracking, paying, and documenting the order through the PO system.
Purchasing Card Program
Benefits to Cardholders & the College
- Accommodates faster delivery of goods and services.
- Facilitates electronic commerce, phone and fax orders.
- Provides a means for reservations, guarantees and prepays when necessary.
- Compliments current purchasing system.
- No annual card fee.
- Eliminates low value and redundant activity in the purchasing process.
- Provides opportunity to improve pricing.
- Provides for streamlining of accounts payable process through reduction in the number of invoices.
- On-line access to account information at any time.Reduces bank fees for check processing(estimated.20/check)
- Provides best currency exchange rate on international purchases.
Benefits to College Vendors
- Permits payment in as few as two business days.
- Eliminates invoicing and collection activities.