Frequently Asked Questions

What is Direct Deposit and how do I get set up?

Direct Deposit means that your pay will get deposited directly into the bank account of your choice. No running to the post office to pick up a check and then having to go to the bank to cash or deposit it. The money goes directly into your bank account each pay day and you receive an email notice alerting you that your new pay information is available. You can access the amount of your pay, withholdings and net deposit online 24/7. This makes direct deposit the preferred method of payment here at Houghton College.

PLEASE NOTE: While our preferred form of payment is by direct deposit to your bank account, you may be paid in the form of a live check if you wish. However, please be advised that if you misplace your check,  there will be a $40.00 fee to stop payment on that check and have it reissued.

To set up direct deposit, simply fill out the Direct Deposit form and bring it to the payroll office along with a check or deposit slip from the account that you wish to use.  If you are due to be paid during the transition time, you will receive a live check and your direct deposit will become effective in the next pay.

What if I choose to receive a check?

If you choose not to have direct deposit, your check will be addressed and mailed to your home address on file in Payroll. Should you move, please be sure to alert Payroll of your new address as soon as possible. If you wish to receive your check in your CPO, you will have to make arrangements with the College Post Office.

How do I get a Job and get Paid?

  1. Check with various departments for current job openings or stop in and see Cindy Hannigan in the VOCA office.
  2. You must receive an Employee Hire Card from a Supervisor on campus that has agreed to hire you. 
  3. You may not begin working in any department on campus before you have: 
    1. Submitted your Employee Hire Card to the Payroll Office. 
    2. Completed the necessary payroll paperwork. This includes presenting identification in order to fill out the I-9 form (this must be completed in the payroll office).  Check here or see below for a list of acceptable identification that you may present (List of Acceptable Documents). Please note that we are required by law to see original documents, no photocopies or faxes will be accepted.
    3. Received a Student Employment Card (red card) from the Payroll Office to show your supervisor. Please read our Payroll Policy regarding these cards.

When all of your information is turned in, you then take the responsibility of making sure that your time cards are turned in on time and filled out properly. You can access the pay schedule here. You must talk with your supervisor to determine whether it will be their responsibility or yours to turn in your time card.

The cards must be turned in to the Payroll Office by 5:00 p.m. the Monday following a pay day (Friday). They can be sent via Intra-campus mail, dropped in the student time card box outside the office, or given directly to either the Payroll Specialist or the Payroll Clerk. If your cards are not turned in, you will not get paid for that work until the following pay periods time cards are processed. Because of the high volume of time cards that we must process, there is no room for leeway.

Please also make sure that all of the proper information is filled out legibly on your time card. If information is missing or unclear, there is a possibility you will not be paid until it is properly filled out.

Please write your Campus Wide ID # (CWID) on all of your time cards. This is the number that is written on the top of your red card.

What are acceptable documents for the I-9?

*One from List A, OR one from list B AND one from list C.

List A

List B

List C

1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card 1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address 1.Social Security Account Number card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States
2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551) 2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address 2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa. 3. School ID card with a photograph 3.Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)

4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)

4. Voter's Registration card 4. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
5. U.S. Military card or draft record 5. Native American tribal document
5. In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form 6. Military dependent's ID card 6. US Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
8. Native American tribal document 7. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
 6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above: 8. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  10. School record or report card  
  11. Clinic, doctor or hospital record  
  12. Day-care or nursery school record  

What do I do if I have a problem with my check?

If there is a problem with your paycheck, it is best if you let us know immediately by stopping in to our office. We are located in the bottom of the Luckey Building on the Chapel Side. Your delay could cause a longer time span in getting your problem fixed.

What do I do if the information on my check is wrong?

Please check to make sure that the information that is printed on your check is correct. If the information is wrong, it may cause a problem with your W-2 form.

You also need to inform us if you have changed your name, address or taxable status.

How much will I get paid and when will I get paid?

You will be paid minimum wage for the hours you work. Minimum wage is currently $10.40 per hour. Any hours that you work in a week over 40 are considered to be overtime. Overtime hours are paid at a rate of 1&1/2 times the regular hourly rate.

Paydays are every other Friday. You can find a complete schedule at Student Pay Schedule.