Director of Institutional Research & Assessment
Full time. 10-month position. Begin summer 2013.
The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (IR&A) advances the mission and values of Houghton College through commitment to generating and disseminating reliable evidence and analytical reports, efficient storage and reporting to various constituencies, institutional evaluation through local and nationally-normed survey research and data analysis, student learning and operational outcomes assessment, and collaboration with our institutional leaders in support of decision-making, program assessment, and overall effectiveness. The IR&A office is both an information source and repository for many of the college’s descriptive metrics.
Responsibilities: The Director is responsible for ensuring compliance with federal, state, and regional accreditation regulations. Works closely with offices throughout the college to determine and meet their needs for timely and accurate information. Reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College and also works closely with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Director of Records, and other affiliated staff to support all programs’ student learning assessment efforts and all non-academic offices’ evaluations.
There is strong potential for awarding faculty status (non-instructional), depending on previous experience.
Qualifications: Relevant master's degree is required, doctoral degree preferred. Candidates should have a minimum of 3 years experience in higher education, preferably in an IR or assessment role. Other experience and skills of the ideal candidate include:
- leadership in growing our culture of educational effectiveness with particular emphasis on student learning outcomes assessment
- expertise in designing and implementing systems for direct and indirect measures of student learning, including e-portfolios.
- familiarity with accreditation processes, and the Middle States accrediting agency, in particular
- strong multitasking, prioritization, and project management skills
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- quantitative and qualitative research and analytical skills
- familiarity and experience with survey data-gathering, analysis, and reporting
- experience with online course evaluation, and the IDEA Center’s student ratings of instruction, in particular
- experience with assessment management programs, TracDat in particular
To apply for this position, visit http://www.houghton.edu/campus/human-resources/employment/faculty-openings/ and follow the Procedure for Applicants. Include a letter of interest describing how your background and experience suggest that you will be successful in meeting the responsibilities of this position.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.