Assistant Professor of Recreation and Equestrian Studies
- 585-567-9379 ext #3790
- Equestrian; Recreation & Leisure Studies; Sport, Recreation, & Wellness
- 585-567-9379 ext #3790
- Equestrian, Recreation & Leisure Studies, Sport, Recreation, & Wellness
- M.S., State University of New York at Brockport (SUNY Brockport) (2006)
- B.S., Houghton College (2000)
- Foundations of Equine Assisted Therapies and Methods and Materials of Equine Assisted Therapies
- Jumping 1 and Jumping II
- Principles of Training
- Adventure Trails
- Horsemanship I and II
- Certified Horsemanship Association
- Co-chair of Sport, Recreation, and Wellness Department
Houghton College, Houghton NY (present)
o Also serves as academic adviser for all equestrian majors and minors
- Certified Horsemanship Association instructor
- Studies under renowned equestrian clinicians such as Eddo Hoekstra, Janet Youse, and Walter Zettle
- Instructor in therapeutic classes for Recreation and Leisure Studies department
Houghton College, Houghton NY (2007-present)
o Brought equine-assisted therapy minor to Houghton’s equestrian program
- Worked in Buffalo, NY as recreation therapist with at-risk youth and individuals with developmental disabilities in residential and school settings.
o Taught, planned programming, and helped individuals develop confidence, interpersonal skills, and personal success
- While a student at Houghton, earned multiple achievement awards, including:
o All-American award as outstanding soccer player
- Head Women’s Soccer Coach
Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester NY
- I am a passionate instructor incorporating philosophy, riding and training into my classes while working to be a conduit of Christ’s love and grace in an intense equine world. I am blessed to teach in a classroom that encourages students to grow personally, professionally, and spiritually. My desire is to create an environment where positive growth and learning can occur for both horse and rider – which couples well with my passion and background in equine-assisted therapies. Besides my continued training under renowned clinicians, I love researching and studying natural horsemanship methods to help my students develop the best connection between themselves and their equine partners. Recently I have taken an untouched two-year-old warmblood cross and, through natural horsemanship methods, partnered with her and brought her under saddle, and am now using the dressage training scale to bring her through the levels. I love working in a place where this trust and partnership that we develop with our horses can reflect and deepen our trust and relationship we have with the Lord.
- Presented therapeutic recreation workshops for Finger Lakes DDSO.
- Has compiled research for the Center for Disability Rights’ Outdoor Exposure program.
- Has presented multiple equine workshops at the Certified Horsemanship Association Region 5 Conference.
- Has presented at EquiFest in Hamburg, NY.
- Presents alongside colleagues at local equine business and clinics in order to promote learning opportunities in the equine industry.
- I live in Houghton with my husband and our three children on a little hobby farm, where our two dogs, two horses, 10 chickens and a feisty kitten keep us busy and entertained. When not riding or teaching, I coach my kids’ soccer teams, cheer at their little league games, or get ready to hit the ski slopes with the family. I also volunteer with the children’s programs at Houghton Wesleyan church, and love living in a town where Houghton students become part of my family and community.