Professor of Education; Faculty Moderator
- 585-567-9676 ext #6760
- 585-567-9676 ext #6760
- Ed.D., State University of New York Buffalo (1994)
- M.S., State University of NewYork College Buffalo (1981)
- B.A., Houghton College (1978)
- Human Learning
- Mathematics Education
- Adolescence Education
- Grading and Assessment
- Educational Psychology
- Curriculum & Assessment in Secondary Classrooms
- Senior Capstone: Seminar in Secondary Teaching
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers
My Houghton Story
I’m a graduate of Houghton (class of 1978), and had a wonderful experience as a Math major and a field hockey player. After some time teaching middle school math, I returned to Houghton as Resident Director of Gillette Hall (formerly East Hall). I’ve carried mail, worked on the maintenance crew, directed student activities and chapel at the West Seneca Campus of Houghton, and even served 4 years as head field hockey coach. I directed a developmental learning skills program for Houghton back in the late 1980s, and was even involved in very early experiments with on-line education in the greater Buffalo area. Houghton has afforded me a wealth of opportunities to hear and respond to God’s call on my life, and I am deeply grateful to this wonderful community.
Other Important Parts of My Life
- I am an avid wildflower photographer. I’ve catalogued nearly 400 wildflowers from the Western New York area.
- The New York State Park System is amazing! I have been to many of the Parks and hope to visit them all eventually. Of course my favorite is our local site: Letchworth State Park.
- I have learned so much about American history through researching my family genealogy, which traces back in many directions
- My favorite author is Stephen Lawhead and my favorite musical group is the Canadian girl band The Wailin’ Jennys.
- I am a very unconventional pastor of a very unconventional church, Sojourners Mennonite Fellowship. I grew up in the United Methodist Church, but have been a Mennonite now for nearly 25 years. I was the first woman to serve as moderator of the New York Mennonite Conference, and I was also the first woman ordained in the Conference.
- I’ve been in church choirs and on church worship teams most of my life. At Sojourners, we love singing the beautiful hymns, both old and new, of the church.
- Worship planning is one of my favorite weekly activities – the planning group has done so much to weave scripture and prayer, teaching and song together into a beautiful fabric of experiencing God’s presence among us.
The richness of having a large extended family has graced my life in so many ways. I love being an aunt to my nieces and nephews, and I love being connected to many aunts, uncles and cousins. I have written a one-woman comedy about my mother and her sisters titled Tales of the Welsh Aunts, which I have performed to-date at 4 larger public events as well as at numerous small dinner parties or private gatherings. I am currently working on a sequel about the many women who have influenced and encouraged my faith and hope to debut it in March.