Associate Professor of Education
- Ed.D., Aurora University (2007)
- M.A., North Central College (2002)
- B.S., Wheaton College (1993)
- EDUC 217: Education & American Culture
- EDUC 331: Secondary Teaching: General Methods
- EDUC 334: Secondary Teaching: Math Methods
- EDUC 335: Secondary Teaching: Science Methods
- EDUC 342: Math & Science in Inclusive Classrooms
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- The Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State (AMTNYS)
- The International Christian Community for Teacher (ICCTE)
- Association of Independent Liberal Arts Colleges of Teacher Education (AILACTE)
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Professional dispositions
- Effective teaching methodologies and instructional activities
- Kindergarten readiness
- Wiesman, J. L. (2017). An analysis of the professional dispositions emphasized in teacher education programs. Excelsior: Leadership in Teaching and Learning, 11(2), 19 – 36.
- Wiesman, J. L. (2016). What in the world is a logarithm? The New York State Mathematics Teachers’ Journal, 66(2), 83-85.
- Wiesman, J. L. (2016). Exploring novice and experienced teachers’ perceptions of effective motivational constructs with adolescent students. American Secondary Education, 44(2), 4 – 20.
- Wiesman, J. L. (2015). Enhancing students’ understanding of square roots. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 20(9), 556-558.
I came to Houghton in 2013 with 18 years of experience teaching and coaching adolescent students. After completing my graduate studies in 2007, I also taught methods courses at Aurora University and Trinity Christian College. If I’m not in class or out visiting a student teacher, my office door is always open and people are welcome to stop by to chat about class, a practicum experience, or anything else.
As a graduate of a small, Christian, liberal arts college, I believe Houghton can truly be a life-forming experience. I can attribute much of the development of my personality, character, and faith to my undergraduate experience and I hope others’ time at Houghton will equally impact their lives.
I have a fabulous wife and daughter, and we enjoy just about any outdoor recreational activity. We especially appreciate traveling to the Rocky Mountains to hike, bike, kayak, or simply enjoy God’s creation.