Associate Professor of Mathematics; Chair of Mathematics
- 585-567-9288 ext #2880
- Paine 209D
- Personal Website
Rebekah developed a deep appreciation for Christian liberal arts education while a math major at Wheaton College. After she graduated in 2003, she taught middle school math for a year in the Atlanta area before returning to school to pursue her PhD at the University of Montana in Missoula (2006, 2009). She then joined the Houghton math faculty in Fall 2009.
Rebekah and her husband Ryan, who teaches computer science and data science at Houghton, are true math nerds: they began dating during their Complex Analysis class in their senior year at Wheaton. In addition to mathematics, they enjoy running, cycling, hiking, playing Ultimate, and spending time with their two children, Judah and Junia.
Real Analysis I and II, Linear Algebra, Graph Theory, Calculus I and II, Mathematical Explorations, and Senior Seminar
Functional Analysis (Uniform Algebras), Linear Algebra (Numerical Range), and Mathematics Education (Active Learning, Teacher Preparation, and Teacher Enrichment)
- Camenga, K., and Yates, R. Connecting the dots: rediscovering continuity, Mathematics Teacher, Volume 108, Number 3, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, October 2014, pp. 213-217.
- Deaett, L., Lafuente-Rodriguez, R., Marin, J., Martin, E., Patton, L., Rasmussen, K., and Yates, R. Trace conditions for symmetry of the numerical range, Electronic Journal of Linear Algebra, Volume 26, International Linear Algebra Society, September 2013, pp. 591-603.
- Hatori, O., Lambert, S., Luttman, A., Miura, T., Tonev, T., and Yates, R. Spectral Preservers in Commutative Banach Algebras, in Function Spaces in Modern Analysis, Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 547, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2011, pp. 103-123.
- Norm-linear and norm-additive operators between uniform algebras, Tonev, T. and Yates, R., Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Volume 357, Issue 1, 1 September 2009, Pages 45-53.
- Norm-preserving criteria for uniform algebra isomorphisms, (Ph.D. Dissertation in Mathematics, University of Montana, 2009).
- An alternating series expansion for (ln(2))^2, Hruska, S., Johnson, R. and Yates, R., Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Spring 2004, Pages 545-548. (Rebekah is the “Johnson, R.” in this instance; this paper was the result of research done as an undergraduate.)
- On Beyond Calculus: A Day for Community Outreach
Association of Christian in the Mathematical Sciences Conference, Charleston Southern University, June 2, 2017.
- There Are 10 Kinds of People: Those Who Come to This Session and Those Who Don't
Houghton Math and Science Day interactive session, Houghton College, February 7, 2017.
- The Mathematics of Voting
Math Discovery Day interactive session, Houghton College, April 9, 2016.
- As the Crow Flies and the Taxi Drives
Houghton Math and Science Day interactive session, Houghton College, February 2, 2016.
- On Beyond Calculus
Joint Mathematics Meetings, Seattle, January 9, 2016.
- The Road Best Traveled: The Mathematics of Getting There and Back Again
Houghton Math and Science Day interactive session, Houghton College, February 3, 2015.
- The Subspace Game
Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Antonio, January 10, 2015.
- To Infinity and Beyond
Houghton Math and Science Day interactive session, Houghton College, February 4, 2014.
- Helping Students Overcome Discouragement in Real Analysis
Joint Mathematics Meetings, Baltimore, January 13, 2014.
- Integrating Faith through Writing in Calculus I
Association of Christian in the Mathematical Sciences Conference, Bethel University, May 31, 2013.
- What If I Get Bored? How One Chapel Made Me a Mathematician.
Houghton Education and Life Planning Day Alternative Chapel, March 13, 2013.
- Numerical Range: Counting Necklaces and Searching for Symmetry
SUNY Geneseo Mathematics Colloquium, October 13, 2011.
- An Infinity of Infinities
Houghton College Faculty Lecture Series, September 21, 2011.
- Classical Results from a Functional Analysis Perspective
SUNY Potsdam/Clarkson University REU Colloquium invited talk, June 10, 2010.
- Ph.D. Mathematics, May 2009, University of Montana
- M.A. Mathematics, May 2006, University of Montana
- B.S. Mathematics, May 2003, Wheaton College, magna cum laude