Department of The Greatbatch School of Music

view dept. website

Stephen W. Plate, Director and Associate Dean


See Graduate Bulletin for information regarding graduate curricula, faculty, and courses.

Mission: Within a Christ-centered, challenging, liberal arts education, The Greatbatch School of Music, Houghton College endeavors to produce graduates who, through commitment to musical excellence and to intelligent articulation of the integration of faith and music in their lives, can be effective musical practitioners and advocates in the Christian community and in the broader world.

 Accreditation: The Greatbatch School of Music is a full member of the National Association of Schools of Music, and its curricula conform to NASM published standards.

Liberal arts study in the Greatbatch School of Music, Houghton College: Liberal arts students may study privately on a credit basis, may elect major or minor concentrations in music, and may participate in music ensembles. No more than eight hours of applied music may count toward graduation for students who are not majoring or minoring in music.

Bachelor of Music - Entrance requirements for music majors: Students planning to pursue bachelor of music curricula should request a special music application when applying for admission to the college. An entrance audition in the major performing area is required. A schedule of such auditions is available from The Greatbatch School of Music. A tape-recorded audition may be sent, by permission of the director, in cases where an in-person audition is not possible. All appropriate forms, guide-lines, supplemental information, and scholarship information are available through the music office or online ( Call 800.777.2556 or send an e-mail to request these.

Transfer students: Students transferring to Houghton and intending a bachelor of music curriculum should follow the entrance and application procedures outlined above. In addition, transfer students must complete at least four semester hours at Houghton in their major applied area, regardless of achievement or previous hours completed.

Integrative Studies Requirements - Bachelor of Music Curricula: As part of all bachelor of music curricula, students are required to have 32 hours of integrative studies credits.

A modified list of IS requirements for students pursuing the B.Mus. degree can be found at Academic Records Office/Academic Information webpage.

The minimum requirement for Music Education-Instrumental (MEI), Composition, and Music Education-Vocal (MEV) Piano Concentration majors is four hours of beginning foreign language. The minimum requirement for Music Education-Voice (MEV) majors, and for Instrumental Performance majors, is eight hours of one foreign language, normally either German (preferred) or French. The minimum requirement for Vocal Performance majors is 16 hours of beginning language, one year each of French and German. Music majors may satisfy these requirements via placement exam, CLEP, or AP exam.

Summer School: Applied music lessons and composition may be taken for credit during summer school, depending on instructor availability.

Applied Study (private lesson fees charged, see Financial Information): Applied (private lesson) study is available only by permission of the appropriate studio faculty, and requires an audition. May be taken for major, minor, or elective credit. Each level number must be taken for a minimum of two credit hours before advancing to the next number. A minimum of two semesters at level (100, 200, etc.) is required before advancing to the next level. Applied study does not carry Integrative Studies credit. Course Numbering in Applied Study (all performance areas; INST = instrument code)

Individual Performance Areas
Brass & Percussion Strings
HORN 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 French Horn VILN 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Violin
TRPT 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Trumpet
VOLA 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Viola
EUPH 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Euphonium
VCLO 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Violoncello
TRMB 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Trombone
BASS 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Double Bass
TUBA 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Tuba
GUIT 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Guitar
PERC 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Percussion
HARP 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Harp
Keyboard Woodwinds
HPSC 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Harpsicord
FLUT 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Flute
ORGN 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Organ
OBOE 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Oboe
PIAN 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Piano
CLAR 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Clarinet
Voice SAXP 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Saxophone
VOIC 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Voice
BSSN 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Bassoon
Special Studies
SPEC 101-102, 201-202, 301-302, 401-402 Specialized Studies

Ensembles for non-music majors: All college students are invited to participate in the various musical organizations. Credit is awarded non-music majors for the various available ensembles (normally one credit per semester), and an academic grade is recorded. By special permission of the conductor, a student may participate in a major ensemble without credits. Chamber enxembles are also formed according to demand, either with or without credit.

Ensembles which carry integrative studies credit include Men's Choir , Women's Choir, Symphonic Winds, Philharmonia (Orchestra), and College Choir.  Completion of the IS fine arts requirment normally requires two years' participation in a major ensemble. Membership in major ensembles is on a yearly basis; students enrolled in the fall semester are also expected to participate in that ensemble in the spring semester. A director may occasionally grant an exception to the foregoing, or permit joining for only the second semester.

Non-music majors may participate in any music ensemble, by audition or permission of the director.

Ensembles for music majors: One major ensemble (Men's Choir , Women's Choir, Symphonic Winds, Philharmonia (Orchestra), and College Choir, as assigned) is required of music majors (BMUS and BA) during each semester of residence. All Bachelor of Music majors must also participate in at least one semester of chamber music, small or minor ensemble, or collaborative performance/accompanying (keyboard principal) during their studies. See the Online Music Student Handbook for applicable discussion.

Judy A. Congdon Justin C. Davis Patricia Gingras Kelley Hijleh
Mitchell Hutchings Sarah HutchingsSharon L. Johnson Adam Luebke
William J. Newbrough Stephen W. Plate Armenio Suzano, Jr.
Adjunct/Part-Time Faculty
Amanda Young CoxKen CraneKevin DibbleMargaret Kuhl
Ernie LascellJi Won LeeDonna LorenzoAnton Machleder
Chisato MarlingAngela McBreartyJames TillerRintaro Wada
Abe WeissDustin Woodard
Back To Top