Department of Chemistry
Houghton's Chemistry Program
At Houghton College, experienced Christian faculty members (all active scholars with Ph.D. degrees) in the chemistry department help students to define and answer questions about our world, at the level of contemporary chemistry. Students pursuing a degree in chemistry learn to think—to exercise the analytical part of the brain in taking things apart, and the synthetic part of the brain in putting things together (while learning to understand all of these reactions at the practical level of their electrons).
The Christian Distinctive
In Houghton’s Christian context, students interact with professors and peers, strengthening their faith even as their knowledge increases, not just in their chosen vocation, but also in many other mind-stretching fields – the benefits of a liberal arts education. They are also asked to apply thinking skills to real-world problems and, from a Christian perspective, to examine ethical issues of science.
A degree in chemistry from Houghton College provides opportunities for a variety of fulfilling careers.
Since the year 2000, about three quarters of the Houghton College chemistry majors have chosen to continue their education in graduate school or medical school, and the remaining quarter have opted to pursue immediate employment. Over the past 35 years, nearly 100 percent of Houghton chemistry majors applying to graduate and medical schools have been accepted and have found that they are well-prepared for these programs.
Houghton College Highlights
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Interdisciplinary honors programs, including a science honors program
- Learn from experts in the scientific community through our science and math colloquia
- Collaborative research opportunities in our summer research institute
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State
Ideas Change Things. We want yours!Idea Box
To learn more
Request information today to learn more about Houghton's programs in chemistry.