Department of Chemistry
Houghton's Chemistry and Biochemistry Program
At Houghton College, experienced Christian faculty members (all active scholars with Ph.D. degrees) in the chemistry department prepare and equip students interested in biochemistry, molecular biology, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and analytical chemistry to define and answer significant questions about our world. Students pursuing a degree in chemistry or biochemistry learn to think critically and apply their knowledge to real world problems. Faculty members have active research programs in the development of green chemical reactions and the synthesis and characterization of biopolymers. Upper level class sizes of 5-12 students allow for hands-on training and use of instrumentation and specialized instruction tailored to the interests of the students.
The Christian Distinctive
One of the benefits of a Christian liberal arts education in Chemistry is that students are not simply exposed to learning about science. They are encouraged to deepen their faith as their knowledge of science in general, and Chemistry in particular, increases. Through direct interaction with professors, small group study and their larger education at Houghton, students discover how the Christian perspective complements and even enhances science. Students learn to effectively apply their Christian perspective, scientific knowledge, and thinking skills to real-world problems both in and out of the classroom.
A degree in biochemistry or chemistry from Houghton College provides opportunities for a variety of fulfilling careers ranging from health professions to industrial research.
Houghton College Highlights
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Interdisciplinary honors programs, including a science honors program
- Learn from experts in the scientific community through our science and math colloquia
- Collaborative research opportunities in our summer research institute
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State