Typical BS Chemistry Schedule
Although students may choose to take a schedule similar to the B.A. degree, but with two additional, advanced three-credit-hour courses, students interested in research are encouraged to take the schedule below--with physical chemistry in the junior year--in order to leave the senior year open for research in chemistry.
(number of credit hours given in parenthesis)
- *CHEM 151 General Chemistry, First Semester (4)
- *CHEM 152 General Chemistry, Second Semester (4)
- CHEM 241 Organic Chemistry, First Semester (4)
- CHEM 242 Organic Chemistry, Second Semester (4)
- CHEM 277 Analytical Chemistry, First Semester (4)
- CHEM 286 Special Topic, First Semester (2)
- CHEM 278 Chemical Instrumentation in Research, Second Semester (4)
- CHEM 332 Biochemistry, Second Semester (3)
- CHEM 361 Physical Chemistry, First Semester (4)
- CHEM 343 Advanced Organic or CHEM 453 Advanced Inorganic, First Semester, (3 each)
- CHEM 362 Physical Chemistry, Second Semester (4)
- CHEM 482 Chemistry Seminar, Second Semester (1)
Two semesters of physics and three semesters of math are also required.
*Well-prepared first-year students may test out of General Chemistry.