Earn your degree in communication
Houghton's Communication Program
Communication is a vital task of being human. How we communicate shapes who we are. Our postmodern, digital, media-saturated age demands that we view the interaction between language, technology, and images in new ways.
A degree in communication from Houghton College helps students answer important questions: What do we have to say to one another? And how should we say it?
Studying communication at Houghton challenges assumptions about the fabric of culture. The communication major is an interdisciplinary program focusing on helping students become competent communicators. This involves the ability to analyze messages in both personal and public contexts, to recognize and choose among the various communication strategies that are available, and to use language and images to create messages that are sensitive to the audience and that help to solve real world problems.
Houghton alumni with a degree in communication can be found in diverse careers around the globe including broadcasting, journalism, public relations, advertising, government service, community development, law, business, teaching, or the ministry. The communication major provides the foundation and skills to thrive in these fields and more.
Houghton College Highlights
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Media lab with digital multimedia software and equipment
- State-of-the-art recording studio and control room
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Interdisciplinary honors programs, including a science honors program
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State