Recycling at Houghton has never been easier. As of summer 2013, Houghton now has blue recycling bins in every office and classroom, as well as every public location with a trash can. There are a few important things to know about recycling at Houghton:
- Blue bins = recycling; all others = trash: The only exceptions are the green and white hexagonal recycling bins located in some of the main hallways and high traffic areas.
- Everything recyclable can go in any recycling bin: Casella (Houghton's waste management company) uses "zero-sort recycling", so everything gets collected together and is later separated at Casella's industrial sorting facility (see here for a cool video of this process). A list of Casella-accepted recycling may be found below.
- Please empty and rinse it: Dirty botles make a mess, and flat soda is not recyclable.
- Plastics #1 - #7
- Mixed paper (including mail, magazines, envelopes, and brown bags)
- All cardboard (except wax-coated)
- Glass (all colors)
- Metal (including aluminum, tin, trays, and foil)
Our Common Ground Recycling
In addition to the recycling collected on campus by Casella, Our Common Ground (OCG) collects other unique recyclable items. These items may be dropped off in the appropriate bins at the top of the indoor stairs in the OCG/Allegany Harvest Market building during normal Market hours. Items collected include:
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Plastic dairy tubs/containers
- Candy wrappers & energy bar wrappers
- Scotch tape rolls/dispensers
- Toothpaste tubes/toothbrushes/floss containers
- Inkjet and toner cartridges
- Hot cereal pouches
- Household cleaner pumps, triggers, pouches
- Cheese packaging (cleaned please!)
- Plastic diaper/baby wipe packaging
- Hair & skin care packaging
- Cosmetic packaging/cases/tubes