With blue recycling bins in every office and classroom, as well as all public locations with a trash can, recycling at Houghton has never been easier. There are a few important things to know about recycling at Houghton:
- Blue bins = recycling; all others = trash: The only exceptions are the green and white hexagonal recycling bins located in some of the main hallways and high traffic areas.
- Everything recyclable can go in the blue bins: Casella (Houghton's waste management company) uses "zero-sort recycling", so everything gets collected together and is later separated at Casella's industrial sorting facility (see here for a cool video of this process). A list of Casella-accepted recycling may be found below.
- Please empty and rinse it: Dirty bottles make a mess, and flat soda is not recyclable.
- Plastics #1 - #7 (hard plastics only)
- Mixed paper (including mail, magazines, envelopes, and brown bags)
- All cardboard (except wax-coated)
- Glass (all colors)
- Metal (including aluminum, tin, trays, and foil)
In addition to the recycling collected on campus by Casella, we also collect other unique recyclable items. These items may be dropped off in the appropriate bins at the Recycling Station behind the campus post office in the Campus Center basement. Items collected include:
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Plastic dairy tubs/containers
- Candy wrappers & energy bar wrappers
- Scotch tape rolls/dispensers
- Toothpaste tubes/toothbrushes/floss containers
- Inkjet and toner cartridges
- Cheese packaging (cleaned please!)
Also, the Campus Store recycles a variety of items through Cartridges for Kids, including cell phones, gps devices, ipods/ipads, DVD's, inkjet and laser cartridges, video games and consoles, digital cameras, laptops, tablets, and e-readers