In order to be eligible for New York State certification, students need to complete the following:
Successfully complete your Houghton education program which includes a minimum of 100 hours of field experiences in your certification area:
- Inclusive Childhood Education,
Grades 1-6 (150 contact hours)
- Adolescence Education, Grades 7-12
- Music Education, Grades PK-12
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Grades PK-12
Successfully complete all three of the New York State teachers Certification Exams:
- LAST (Liberal Arts & Sciences)
- ATS-W (Assessment of Teaching Skills – Written: Elementary or Secondary)
- Inclusive Childhood Education (ICE) students must complete the elementary ATS-W
- Adolescence Education (ADE) students must complete the secondary ATS-W
- Music Education (MED) students can choose either the elementary or the secondary but do not need to complete both
- CST (Content Specialty Exam)
- ICE will complete the Multi-Subject CST AND Students with Disabilities CST
- ADE will complete the CST in their major content area
- MED will complete the CST in Music
- ESOL will complete the CST in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Attend the required training workshops:
- Child Abuse Identification and Reporting – required 2 hours
- SAVE (School Violence Prevention and Intervention) – required 2 hours
Receive training in:
- Health Issues
- Fire & Arson Prevention
- Tobacco, Alcohol and Other Substances
- Child Abduction
Complete the following:
- Application process
* Students completing the above requirements will be eligible for Initial Certification (this replaces the old Provisional Certificate). This Initial Certificate is valid for 5 years. This is NOT a renewable certificate.
To receive the next certification, the Professional Certificate (this replaces the old Permanent Certification), you must:
- Complete a master’s degree in a field related to what you are teaching.
- Complete three years of successful teaching experience with the first of those three years being a mentored teaching situation
- There are no examinations required.
- Complete 175 hours of Professional Development over a 5-year period to keep your Professional certificate valid.
For more information regarding certification in New York State, go to the Office of Teaching Initiatives on the web at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/ or Susan Martin, Certification Officer for New York State at Houghton College at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reciprocal Agreements with Other States
Reciprocity means that your completion of certification requirements in New York State will enable you to get certification in these states without further academic work unless the state to which you apply requires a graduate degree/study for the initial certification.
If you are interested in certification requirements in other states, go to that state’s education web page for specific information. When you request certification in a state that has reciprocity with New York State, they will send you a packet of information that will outline what you will need to complete in order to receive certification in that particular state.
The following states have reciprocity with New York State:
|District of Columbia||Florida||Georgia|
|New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|North Carolina||North Dakota||Ohio|
|Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota|