The Houghton College Alumni Board has proposed a use for the former Walldorf house on Main Street that will bring it back to its historical roots.
The house was built in 1890 by George Walldorf. It served as a boarding house where local people could meet and out of town guests could stay the night. Early in the history of Houghton College, Willard J. Houghton made reference to the success of the "Walldorf Temperance Hotel" as evidence of a growing community surrounding the seminary.
In 1921 Elanor Woodhead deeded the building to the college and female students moved in shortly after. Later in its history, it housed boys from Houghton Academy. This arrangement continued until the current boy’s dorm was built and the location became men's housing for Houghton College again. During its most recent years, it was home to female Houghton students seeking to live in an intentional community environment.
The newly renovated building will be known as The Alumni House It will be a place where Houghton College alumni can meet and where out-of-town alumni can stay the night.
If you would like to be involved in this project in any way, including a financial gift or through a gift in kind, please contact the Alumni Relations office at email@example.com or call 585-567-9546.