A degree in Intercultural Studies with a concentration in Linguistics will prepare you for global scholarship and service in language development, documentation of "endangered" languages, literacy and service in Bible translation.
Linguistics courses are useful to anyone expecting to learn or work with languages. A linguistics concentration, along with the Intercultural Studies core, equips you to work in the multicultural settings where these opportunities abound.
While most of our students in this concentration are going into Bible translation, the linguistics field itself is huge. In this program, you will become familiar with both the sound systems and grammatical structures of language to prepare you for comprehensive language analysis and documentation.
Why Major in?
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities
- Practice what you’ve learned in the classroom through our required intercultural experience
- Travel the world through Houghton’s many off-campus study opportunities or internships
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education
- Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom