Preparation for missions at Houghton matches the diversity of 21st-century missions practice. The Intercultural Studies major with a Missions concentration prepares you to interact with the culture and gain a solid foundation in missions studies.
Houghton College has a long tradition of our students going on to serve God’s Kingdom in missions. From the early 1900s until today, our alumni are all around the world sharing Christ’s love in diverse ministries including teaching the Bible, development, evangelism and medical work.
Given that there is not one set type of missions work, Houghton offers a variety of programs of study that prepare you for this service. At the core stands Houghton’s integration of faith into whatever major one takes. The breadth of liberal arts opens knowledge and skills appropriate for today’s world. From the Intercultural Studies base of Global Issues, Cultural Anthropology, Intercultural Competencies and other core courses, the Missions Concentration embraces historical, biblical, theological and practical studies along with field experience.
Along with the required classes in Bible and Theology, you will also have opportunities to grow spiritually and begin to reach out to others while a student. This can be done in many ways from interacting with local children who need a big brother/big sister to meeting refugees in Buffalo who need a friend to teach them English. You can even work right in town with international high school students at Houghton Academy.
Additionally, there are opportunities to learn practically and spiritually through the student group Global Christian Fellowship, interaction with missionaries in residence, participating in New Vision Week—a multiple day focus on missions when mission organizations have reps on campus—and more.
Why Major in?
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities
- Practice what you’ve learned in the classroom through our required intercultural experience
- Travel the world through Houghton’s many off-campus study opportunities or internships
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education
- Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom