A TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) concentration prepares you to serve the international population around the world and within the United States, offering opportunities for cross-cultural service, even in countries that are closed to receiving missionaries.
Without a doubt, the role of the English language has been transformed in recent years. Its use in international politics and business, in science and technology, and in the media and higher education has earned it special status in over 70 countries worldwide. Nearly a quarter of the world’s population speaks this language, and English is the most widely taught foreign language in the world. Consequently, there is a great demand for competent English teachers in almost every nation in the world, including the United States. The Intercultural Studies major with a TESOL concentration can give you a practical key for opening the doors to our 21st-century world.
Why Major in?
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities
- Practice what you’ve learned in the classroom through our required intercultural experience
- Travel the world through Houghton’s many off-campus study opportunities or internships
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education
- Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom