A major in Spanish from Houghton College will prepare you for the ever-increasing workplace demand for Spanish fluency.
Mastering another language leads to many opportunities in today’s global marketplace, and the ability to communicate with respect and cultural understanding in more than one language is an essential element of global competence. Regardless of vocation, students who study a world language are better equipped to reach out and serve those who speak a language other than English.
The vision of the Spanish Major is to facilitate communicative fluency in Spanish so that, no matter your calling in life, you will be better prepared to impact society by building relationships across languages and cultures as a globally engaged scholar-servant. Houghton College maintains a long tradition of world language study, and the excellent preparation you will receive in the Spanish program can open the door to a variety of careers. One of the highlights of the program is the required semester abroad in a Spanish-speaking country.
Recently, many students have enriched their career potential by majoring in Spanish and one of the following majors: Adolescent Education, Art, Communication, Psychology, Sociology, Business Administration, Math Political Science, Writing, Intercultural Studies or Biology.
Why Major in?
- Practice what you’ve learned in the classroom through the required semester abroad in countries such as Spain, Colombia, Mexico, Costa Rica and Argentina
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education
Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom
Students gain valuable language and cross-cultural experience through semester-long, summer and Mayterm study-abroad programs. Spanish majors are required to spend a semester studying in a Spanish-speaking country and can complete this requirement through a variety of nationally recognized programs and institutions of Christian higher education. Options to study abroad include
- BCA Study Abroad (French and Spanish)
- Spanish Studies Abroad—Spain, Argentina, Cuba and Puerto Rico
- Latin American Studies CCCU (Spanish—Costa Rica, Nicaragua)
- Central College Abroad (French and Spanish)
- Chez Vous (Summer French in France)
- Laval—Quebec (French)
- Trinity in Spain (Spanish)
The Spanish major at Houghton offers students many experiential learning opportunities. Students develop communicative skills through
- Dynamic classroom experience
- Personal interaction with highly qualified professors
- Conversation groups
- Language clubs
- Interaction with native speakers
- Live worldwide Spanish and French TV
- Mayterm and semester study abroad
What are some recent houghton graduates doing?
- Teaching in Guatemala
- Teaching at Alliance Academy in Quito, Ecuador
- Working at the Department of Defense
- Working as a Spanish interpreter, Connecticut Judicial Branch
- Working as a live-in hostess, Immerse International House, Lancaster, PA
- Teaching high school Spanish
- Pursuing (or completed) master’s degrees in areas such as applied linguistics and Spanish education
Through Houghton’s Intercultural Transition and Adjustment class, I learned how to successfully identify and navigate the stages of culture stress, which proved incredibly valuable and practical during my time in Latin America. In addition, this class prepared me for my current career, where I serve as a bridge between two cultures on a daily basis.
Rachel Calhoun ’10
Spanish interpreter for the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch
Explore careers and outcomes of Houghton Spanish majorsLearn More
As a Houghton student you can study off campus in every corner of the globeLearn More
Faith and Justice
The Center for Faith, Justice and Global Engagement explores transformational learning and holistic change in local and global contextsLearn More