A Houghton degree in mathematics can open doors to a variety of careers. According to the National Bureau of Labor and Statistics projections for 2008-2018, careers in the mathematical sciences are projected to grow at twice the rate of the overall job market, with similar rates in the area of finance and education. Of graduates from 2000-2009 who responded to a survey, more than 90 percent reported being employed or attending graduate school within one year of graduation.
- Rachel Starks ‘10 - completed a masters in math education at Boston University and is teaching in Calgary, Alberta in a private Christian school.
- Adam Townley ’12 - medical school
- (Margaret) Annie (Larson) Tokarski ’11 - analyst at the Department of Defense
- Joel VanderWeele ’10 - Masters of Architecture program at Notre Dame
- Kaitlin Smith ’10 - Physical Therapy degree at SUNY Upstate Medical
- Mindy Swancott ’09 is working at Lima Christian school and has completed her masters is Adolescent Math Education at SUNY Brockport
- Laura (Stuzman) Thomson ’09 - Education masters at Penn State University and was working with Americorps at the King Center in Buffalo
- Andrew Gent ’08 - Systems Engineer at The SI organization
- Heather Smith ’08 - Masters in Math at Virginia Commonwealth University and is working on her Ph.D. at South Carolina
- Rebecca Calhoun ’08 - Actuarial Analyst at The Hartford after completing her masters in mathematics at SUNY Albany.
- Heidi Frasure ‘99 - Clinical Research Specialist/Biostatistician, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, OH
- Jason Leininger ’98 - lawyer with Portnuff Law Association, Ltd. In Penndell, PA
Positions held by graduates
Graduate school acceptances
For more information about the variety of career options for math majors, you can explore the following links:
When Will I Use Math? Includes career profiles and the mathematics used, as well as interesting uses of math and open problems.
Be An Actuary Information about actuarial careers, a career followed by many math majors.
Careers in Applied Mathematics includes information about careers that apply math: what problems they address, what they are, how to prepare for them and where to find them.