NEW SONG Composer Residency
“Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of his people” – PSALM 149:1
- The New Song Composer-in-Residence will compose two works as an obligation of the Residency, with one completed and delivered in the Fall and one in the Spring.
- The student selected as the New Song Composer-in-Residence will receive $200 in recognition of his or her achievement.
- During the composition process the Composer-in-Residence will coordinate with the Director of Music in each congregation and attend one worship service at each participating church.
- The Composer-in-Residence will attend at least one rehearsal at each congregation during the course of his or her residency (though one per semester would be preferable.)
- The Composer-in-Residence will be present with the congregation at the worship service in which his or her piece is first used.
- Any Houghton College undergraduate or graduate composer that will be enrolled as a full time student during the Residency is eligible for this program.
- Interested composers will submit three copies each of two scores and recordings (either live or MIDI) that they feel best represent them and their music.
- Interested composers will submit a written statement that addresses how they view the interaction between their faith and their role as a composer, and why they wish to be the New Song Composer-in-Residence.
- Copies of scores and recordings are to be submitted to Dr. David Davies, Professor of Composition Studies.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MAY 10th
2012-13: Anne Nickerson '13