Sacred Choral Composition Contest
Choral Composition Contest 2016
The William and Eleanor Greatbatch Endowed Choral Composition Prize will be awarded to the first-place winner in the annual Sacred Choral Composition Contest.
Sponsored by the Greatbatch School of Music
Postmark Deadline:December 1, 2016
- Mixed choir (SATB)
- Unaccompanied, or keyboard accompaniment
- Three to five minutes' duration
- Unpublished works only
- Rights to text must be cleared, and evidence of copyright holder's permission must be shown.
- Sacred music suitable for church or high school ensembles
- Open to all composers.
- Houghton College faculty and staff are not eligible
- First -- $500
- Prize money will not be awarded if no composition is deemed worthy.
- Winner will be contacted February 1, 2017.
- Finalists are required to be present at the performance of their work on Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. Houghton College will reimburse travel expenses up to a maximum of $250. Lodging and food are the responsibility of the finalists.
- Finalists will be announced at www.houghtoncollegechoir.org byFebruary 20, 2017.
- The Houghton College Publishing Series will review scores for possible publication.
- The Houghton College Choir will premiere a commissioned choral work at the Home Tour Concert in April 2017 with as many as 15 performances across the country.
Submission and Return Guidelines
- Entry fee of $25 per score. Make checks payable to Houghton College.
- Include your name, address, phone number(s), and social security number in a sealed envelope.
- Names must not appear on the score.
- Size of manuscript must not exceed 8 1/2" by 14."
- All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by Houghton College and all copies destroyed after the concert.
- No scores will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided.
- Mail entry to:
Dr. Daniel David Black, Director of Choral Activities
1 Willard Ave
Houghton NY 14744