Sacred Choral Composition Contest
The winning composition was chosen from over fifty-five highly qualified submissions, and we are thrilled to announce that In Paradisum by Matthew Olson is the first winner.
We acknowledge the efforts and gifts of all of the composers who submitted works for this year's competition, and hope to continue to support the creation and performance of new sacred art music well into the future. Our deepest thanks and most sincere encouragement for your future endeavors.
Inaugural Choral Composition Contest 2014
The William and Eleanor Greatbatch Endowed Choral Composition Prize will be awarded to the first place winner in the annual Sacred Choral Composition Contest.
Sponsored by the Greatbatch School of Music and the Houghton College Publishing Series
Postmark Deadline: October 04, 2014
- Mixed choir (SATB)
- Unaccompanied, or keyboard accompaniment
- Three to five minutes' duration
- Unpublished works only
- Rights to text must be cleared, and evidence of copyright holder's permission must be shown.
- Sacred music suitable for church or high school ensembles
- Open to all composers.
- Houghton College faculty and staff are not eligible
- First -- $500
- Prize money will not be awarded if no composition is deemed worthy.
- Winner will be contacted by November 30, 2014
- Finalists are required to be present at the performance of their work. Houghton College will reimburse travel expenses up to a maximum of $250. Lodging and food are the responsibility of the finalists.
- Finalists will be announced at www.houghtoncollegechoir.org by November 30, 2014.
- The Houghton College Publishing Series will review scores for possible publication.
- The Houghton College Choir will premiere a commissioned choral work at the Home Tour Concert on March 14, 2014 with as many as 15 performances across the country.
Submission and Return Guidelines
- Entry fee of $25 per score. Make checks payable to Houghton College.
- Include your name, address, phone number(s), and social security number in a sealed envelope.
- Names must not appear on the score.
- Size of manuscript must not exceed 8 1/2" by 14."
- All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by Houghton College and all copies destroyed after the concert.
- No scores will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided.
- Mail entry to:
Kevin M. Dibble, Assistant Director of Choral Activities
1 Willard Ave
Houghton NY 14744