Students of the Greatbatch School of Music have long been recognized for their excellence in music-making. Here is a summary of some of the opportunities and awards enjoyed recently by graduates and students of GSM:
Recent and current music students were accepted into a number of prestigious programs and internships:
- two students into the International Summer School UpBeat in Croatia: Read More
- two students into the Advanced Choral Conducting Institute at Eastman
- Atlantic Music Festival Institute: Read More
- Cedar Rapids Opera Young Artists Program: Read More
- Gerdine Young Artist Program at Opera Theater of Saint Louis, Mo.
- Eastern Music Festival
- internship with the Santa Fe Opera
- internship with the Ashville Opera
Recent awards of Greatbatch School of Music students and alumni include:
- quarter-finalist for the first-ever Music Educator GRAMMY Award: Read More
- 2013 NYSBDA Outstanding Retired Band Director Award: Read More
- 2nd place in Great Lakes Guitar Competition: Read More
- 2nd place recipient of the 2012 American Prize for Vocal Performance - College/University Opera Division: Read More
- 1st place at the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) - Central New York-Finger Lakes district student auditions in the category of lower division Musical Theatre Men: Read More
- two finalists in the junior women's division of the New York-Finger Lakes Chapter of NATS vocal competition
- 2nd place in previously named competition: Read More
- finalist for the American Choral Director's Association (ACDA) National Conducting Competition
- invited to perform on Capitol Hill as part of the Very Special Arts young soloists competition sponsored by the Kennedy Center: Read More
- "Outstanding Young Conductor of the Year" award by New York ACDA
- selected to participate in the NY ACDA conducting master class (fall 2013)
- New Song Composer in Residence, Greatbatch School of Music: Read More
- The Greatbatch School of Music recently hosted the 2013 National Conference of the Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers (CFAMC), where several students presented compositions as well as performed: Read More
We are pleased to also highlight the successes of several Greatbatch School of Music alumni:
- A recent music graduate started her own music business for young children called Mustard Seed Business, which was awarded "best library program for ages two and under" in the "Best of Westchester" edition of Westchester Magazine.
- A recent graduate presented a poster at the 2012 New York State Research Conference and was published in the January 2013 edition of School Music News.
- A recent piano graduate has performed multiple years on the prestigious Civic Morning Musical concert series at the Everson Museum in Syracuse, NY. She was also featured on an hour-long TV documentary (with interview and full concert) in Binghamton, NY. This alumna has published several sacred arrangements, including one featured on Greatbatch faculty Dr. Bill John Newbrough's ACCLAMATION! CD, which has recently become eligible for a Grammy nomination.
- A recent graduate performed on the hit musical SMASH.
- Another is the lead singer for The Uptown Groove.
- Another founded the percussion ensemble Line-Upon-Line, which has performed nationally, at PASIC, been featured by the Vic Firth Company, and was named Best Ensemble by the 2013 Austin Critics' Table Awards.
Connect with Us
Please see our Alumni page to read more about the activities and accomplishments of Greatbatch School of Music alumni.
We also invite you to visit our Facebook page to stay connected with up-to-date news.