NAfME Student Chapter 150
The Greatbatch School of Music at Houghton College boasts one of the most active chapters of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) of any higher education institution in the country. The purpose of NAfME is to afford students an opportunity for professional orientation, development and involvement while still in school, and to enable students to gain an understanding of:
- the philosophy and function of the music education profession;
- the professional interests of members involved in the local, state, division, and national levels;
- the music industry’s role in support of music education;
- the knowledge and practices of the professional music educator as facilitated through chapter activity.
Annual activities at Houghton sponsored and organized by NAfME include:
- “Welcome” Party for all new and returning music education students held the first weekend of the fall semester;
- establishment of a mentoring program to assist first year students;
- special seminar sessions with guest speakers on timely topics;
- establishment of a private lesson program in local schools taught by our student membership;
- road trips to concerts and performances in Buffalo and Rochester;
- design and sale of Greatbatch School of Music T-shirts and sweatshirts;
- special campus-wide events including the annual NAfME Recital and Christmas in the Atrium;
- annual attendance at the NYSSMA Winter Conference in Rochester;
- weekly Bible studies; and
- Game Nights for the membership.
Membership is open to all undergraduate and graduate music education members and includes subscription to three professional music education magazines.
For additional information, contact NAfME faculty advisor, Gary Stith.