January 30, 2013
Are you PURPLE or are you GOLD?
Houghton College’s annual Purple and Gold Week will be held from February 4 to 9.
Purple and Gold Week is a six-day, activities-packed extravaganza celebrating Houghton’s history and future of Houghton’s school colors purple and gold.
“One of the main purposes of Purple and Gold Week is to allow students to feel a sense of pride and involvement in the college.” says senior class and Campus Activities Board member Hannah Lily.
Since 1920, purple and gold have been the trademark colors of Houghton College. Entering freshmen were assigned to either the purple or gold team, to which they were expected to remain loyal until graduation. School spirit was demonstrated in intramural competitions between the colors; rivalries were fierce, but good-natured.
“As with all of our events on campus, we hope that each year’s Purple and Gold week will be better and better,” says Lily. “We hope to have more people attend our events and to enjoy having a sense of pride and representation of our college to others.”
Schedule of events:
· Monday, February 4, students, staff, and faculty can pick up their free purple and gold T-shirt in the Van Dyk Lounge from 10-4 p.m. as part of Purple and Gold Week T-shirt Day. Everyone on campus is encouraged to wear their color throughout the week and compete in various campus activities.
· Tuesday, February 5, basketball games against St. John Fisher College will be held in the Nielsen Physical Education Center. The women’s team will play at 6 p.m. and the men’s team at 8 p.m. Attendees are encouraged to show their competitive spirit by sporting their Purple and Gold shirts at the games and throughout the week.
· Wednesday , February 6, will feature a "Just Dance" tournament at 7 p.m. in the Campus Center lounge.
· Thursday, February 7, CAB will host “The Match Game,” a campus game show at 8 p.m. in the Campus Center.
· Friday, February 8, a Purple and Gold Week dodgeball tournament will be held.
· Saturday, February 9, Purple and Gold Week concludes with Houghton College vs. Alfred University basketball teams. The women’s teams play at 2 p.m. and the men at 4 p.m.
· Saturday, February 9, the spring semester’s student highlight -- Purple and Gold Week SPOT, hosted by CAB, to be held at 10 p.m. in the Wesley Chapel.
For further information concerning Purple and Gold Week, please contact CAB at firstname.lastname@example.org