January 31, 2014
Do You Sweat Purple or Gold?
Houghton College’s annual Purple and Gold Week will be held from Feb. 3 to 8.
Purple and Gold Week is a six-day, activities-packed extravaganza celebrating Houghton’s history as well as the future of Houghton’s school colors: purple and gold.
Since 1920, purple and gold have been the trademark colors of Houghton College. Entering freshmen were assigned to either the purple or gold team, to which they were expected to remain loyal until graduation. School spirit was demonstrated in intramural competitions between the colors; rivalries were fierce, but good-natured.
Schedule of Events:
- Monday, Feb. 3, students, staff, and faculty can pick up their free purple or gold t-shirt in the Van Dyk Lounge, Campus Center, from 12-4 p.m. Everyone on campus is encouraged to wear their color throughout the week and compete in various campus activities.
· Tuesday, Feb. 4, basketball games against Ithaca College will be held in the Nielsen Physical Education Center. The men’s team will play at 6 p.m. and the women’s team at 8 p.m. Attendees are encouraged to show their competitive spirit by sporting their purple and gold shirts at the games.
· Wednesday, Feb. 5, will feature a "Just Dance" tournament at 7 p.m. in the Van Dyk Lounge, Campus Center.
· Thursday, Feb. 6, CAB will host a campus version of “The Pyramid Game Show,” at 8 p.m. in Wesley Chapel.
· Friday, Feb. 7, an Olympic opening viewing party will be at 7 p.m. in Big Als.
· Friday, Feb. 7, a Purple and Gold Week dodge ball tournament will be held in the gym at 10 p.m.
· Saturday, Feb. 8, Purple and Gold Week concludes with the spring semester’s student highlight -- Purple and Gold Week SPOT, hosted by CAB, to be held at 10 p.m. at Wesley Chapel.
For further information concerning Purple and Gold Week, please contact CAB at email@example.com