Engineering at Houghton is a hands-on, student-focused program, where you learn through experience. This starts in your first year Introduction to Engineering course, and continues each semester until you graduate. At Houghton, you will:
- work alongside professors who are invested in your academic and spiritual growth
- use analysis, design, and experiments to solve problems posed by clients
- complete a program that will prepare you for any project or challenge your career might bring
Why Major in?
- Learn engineering by doing engineering in our project-based, hands-on program.
- Gain real-world experience with outside companies and clients while you work on multiple projects during your four years.
- Spend the summer doing cutting-edge engineering design work - and get paid for it.
- Develop your practical engineering knowledge and skills throughout all four years, not just in a one-semester capstone design course.
- Work on research projects aimed at solving real-world problems, then publish and present at national conferences.
- Join the 98% of Houghton graduates who are employed or attending graduate school within one year of graduation.
- Develop close mentoring relationships with Christian faculty members who care about your academic, emotional and spiritual growth.
Electrical Engineering Major (BS)
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Engineering Design
- Calculus I and II
- Multivariate Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Probability and Statistics
- Programming I for Engineers
- General Physics I and II
- Digital Design
- Circuits & Analog Electronics I and II
- Digital Signal Processing I and II
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Design
- Engineering System Modeling
- Engineering electives
- Career seminar
- Capstone - Engineering Design
Experiential learning is a foundation of engineering at Houghton. Forty percent of the major is encompassed by a hands-on design sequence, providing a base of practical engineering experience that culminates in the senior capstone course, integrating engineering design, the physical and social sciences, mathematics, and more.
Our engineering program allows professors and students to develop close working relationships with each other as we strive together toward the goal of academic excellence and spiritual growth. After the formal classes end, we spend our afternoons working together at the office chalkboards, discussing design problems and encouraging one another.
Median salary for electrical engineers in 2017 (U.S. Department of Labor).
A bachelor's degree is the entry-level education needed in the field.
Number of engineering professors that Houghton will add over the next four years.
Careers and outcomes of Houghton engineering majorsLearn More
Summer Research Institute
An innovative opportunity for students and faculty to collaborate on research projects over the summerLearn More
Tackle a scientific question of real-world significance in this innovative, research-driven programLearn More