Physics and Engineering Majors and Programs
The physics and engineering department at Houghton offers a rigorous curriculum of course work coupled with an emphasis on real-world research experience. Each student has the opportunity to work on and present a significant research project as part of their education.
We offer several Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees, a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, or a minor in physics.
- Electrical Engineering (B.S.)
- This major is aimed at students seeking a four-year, hands-on approach to engineering. The program emphasizes design and the practical application of electrical systems, which have come to influence nearly every aspect of modern life.
- Physics (B.S.)
- This degree program emphasizes the traditional theoretical, experimental and mathematical basis of physics. It serves as an excellent preparation for graduate work in physics or closely related fields, such as astrophysics, biophysics, physical oceanography, geophysics and meteorology.
- Applied Physics (B.S.) - Engineering Emphasis
- This major is for those students interested in the engineering applications of physics, and is preparation for an engineering-related career or graduate school in engineering or physics.
- Physics (B.A.)
- This major is designed for students planning to pursue professional studies such as law or medicine, students interested in teaching physics at the secondary level, or students who choose physics as a second major
- Other Programs
- Houghton also offers a minor in physics, as well as a concentration in physics as part of the major in general science.