Houghton College Chapel Curriculum
These themes are dealt with at least every three years.
GOD THE FATHER
Who God is
- Attributes of God
- Salvation history; relationship of old & new covenants.
- Revelation / inspiration
- Other religions
- human beings qua creations; image of God
- humans created as sexual beings
- Deus absconditus: God’s hidden work
- imitation of God the Father: acts of mercy; relief/development; food;
GOD THE SON
- Person of Jesus: Divinity/Humanity (incarnation)
- Teaching of Jesus: ethics;
; imitation of Christ kingdomof God
- The “work” of Christ: death and all its significance for our redemption; resurrection and all its significance; soteriology
GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT
- spiritual gifts—but not only miraculous ones—prophecy, leadership, etc.
Sanctification; role of Spirit in the Christian’s maturing, growth in love,
- the Christian & suffering
- interpersonal relationships
- Literature and Art as Spiritual Resources
- Christian Community. Purpose & identity of the church.
- Christianity around the world & in different denominations.
- Worship: history of worship, education on purpose of historic parts of worship;
- Church Calendar & Liturgical Issues,
- worship renewal & contemporary forms of worship;
- prayer (corporate or private);
- spiritual disciplines
- Church History
Humanity in image of God
The Christian and politics
- common grace
- civic justice
- relief and development
- policy toward the poor, elderly, other less-empowered groups.
The Christian’s vocation
- business: work and the
wealth kingdomof God