Alternative chapels are events or programs outside the traditional (Mon./Wed./Fri.) chapel services for which students may receive alternative chapel credit. Alternative chapels may be planned by various offices, departments, and student organizations and must be approved by the dean of the chapel. Chapel attendance each semester must include at least two-thirds traditional chapels and may include up to one-third alternative chapels. Approved alternative chapels are posted below.
To get your event approved, download an Alternative Chapel Request Form.
Alternative Chapel Guidelines
- A completed Alternative Chapel Request Form must be submitted to the dean of the chapel's office at least two weeks prior to the scheduled event.
- The alternative chapel must include an interactive and/or reflective component of at least 30 minutes.
- The alternative chapel must be at least 40 minutes in duration.
- Regular organization meetings or events (such as Koinonia, Mercy Seat, GCF, etc) do not count as alternative chapels.
- The topic of the events must align with our Spiritual Life Mission Statement and/or chapel curriculum.
- An adviser must be present throughout the entire event.
- Alternative chapels may not be scheduled simultaneously with CLEW, PRAXIS, New Vision Week, Homecoming or similar events.
- Alternative chapels may not occur during the last two full weeks of the semester or during exam week.
- Attendance must be recorded in cooperation with the dean of the chapel’s office, and will usually involve scanning in and out of the event.