Train athletes to reach their full fitness potential, manage a recreation program, or share the love of Christ through sports ministry.
Join a community of learners training for service as professionals in administrative roles related to intercollegiate and interscholastic sports; sport/fitness clubs; sports/athletics equipment merchandising; public, private and commercial recreation programs; and intramural and recreational sports.
What you study in your classes prepares you for the field immediately. Depending on your area of focus, you’ll learn how to build a camp program from the ground up, research customer recreation needs or jump into a leadership role through our Highlander Adventure program. You can even travel to or study abroad in places like Ethiopia, Costa Rica or the Czech Republic and put your knowledge to work.
Students are required to choose a minor in one of the following areas:
- Health Promotion/Fitness
- Pre-Athletic Training
- Public Health
- Athletic Administration & Sports Management
- Sports Ministry
The program focuses on foundational courses in management principles, marketing and communication, accounting and human resources understanding, and program planning and includes the option of practicums or an internship.
Why Major in?
- A required internship and/or practicum that is focused on your passions and interests, all while providing you with valuable field experience.
- Hands-on, experiential learning opportunities that put classroom knowledge into practice.
- Resources in the Houghton area:
- Trails in the Houghton Forest
- Ropes course
- Climbing wall
- Athletics fields
- Houghton College Equestrian Center
- Ski Hill
- Genesee Valley Greenway
- Genesee River
- Letchworth State Park
- Potential Certifications
- ARC Responding to Emergencies
- ARC CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- NCSF Personal Training
- NCSF Sports Nutrition Specialist
- SOLO Wilderness First Aid
- ACA Swiftwater Rescue Training
- CHA Certified Riding Instructors
- CHA Equie Facilities manager
Houghton not only helped me discover what I truly love learning about but also how to pursue a career I love and to which the Lord has called me.
Rachael Bailey ’17
Lifeguard at Corning YWCA/Security receptionist with Corning Incorporated