The reasons for internships include; gaining experience in your field of interest; learning whether you might enjoy a specific field; and assisting an employer by providing valuable service. Internship experience looks great on your resume, and can often provide the "lead" you need to get a job when you complete your studies.
Basically there are two types of internships; Paid, or Unpaid. Often, academic credit can be obtained for completing an internship. Occasionally, students find a paying internship that also gains academic credit. Any internship opportunity you are interested in should be discussed with your advisor or appropriate department head.
Internships are listed on the HC Job Shop site.
- Students seeking internships will want to register with the student portion of the Job Shop at https://www.myinterfase.com/houghton/student/ and search there for opportunities.
- Employers interested in posting internship opportunities will want to visit the employer section of the Job Shop at https://www.myinterfase.com/houghton/employer/ to register and add their internships.
Helpful Sites for Internship Opportunities
- Internships.com is helpful sight to find the perfect for your major and career goals. Explore opportunities on the world's largest internship marketplace
- Idealist.org is the place to find non-profit jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities.
- Internweb is a student focused job search website that includes a database containing thousands of internships and entry level jobs.
- Global Placement is a free internship program service for students offering internship positions worldwide and funded by the European Union through the Leonardo da Vinci program.