Job Search Services
The job search process can be frightening, or it can be fun and interesting. The most important thing to remember is to start early. A typical job search for new graduates can take six months or longer, so don't wait until the last minute. Take advantage of the help that Career Services can offer, including on-campus recruiters that we host each year.
Visit Helpful Resources, Career Services' on-line resource of handouts, also available in the Career Services office.
Keys to Success
There are several keys to a successful search: This list provides a starting point for your job search.
Preparation - This includes creating an effective resume, learning to write a cover letter, maybe doing a mock interview to sharpen your question & answer skills. (more information can be obtained on the Job Preparation page.)
Networking - Get in touch with people who know other people in your field of work. Students are also encouraged to visit the Alumni Office's "On-Line Community" for assistance in this as well. Talk with people you know. A very small percentage of open jobs are actually posted anywhere.
Search - Look through newspapers, magazines, trade journals, on-line resources including the HC Job Shop (and some others listed on the Job Preparation page) to get ideas about jobs that are currently open. Again, TALK with people you know. Take a look at the Job Preparation & Search sites listed below to find on-line job sources in a number of fields (Government, Teacher & School District sites, International, Business links, Miscellaneous sites, and other places to post your resume.)
Research - When you have found an employer you are interested in, learn as much about them as you can. This helps you to formulate questions to ask during the interview, as well as present yourself as a prepared candidate.
Career Services also keeps a binder of recent salary surveys that will help you determine the best ways to approach the "what is this job worth" questions in most fields.
Job placement service - (Some organizations charge a fee for this service, so be sure you also research this aspect.) A partnership between Houghton College and MonsterTrak provides an opportunity for student resumes to be made available to its nationwide network of employers. Go to Monstertrak and follow registration instructions. Contact Brian Reitnour if you have questions.
On & Off-Campus Career Events
Career Services posts information about on-campus career-related workshops and events, as well as off-campus job fairs and other items of interest. Workshops are held throughout the school year on topics from resume writing to choosing a major to preparing for GRE and other tests. Annual events we host include a Fall Grad School Fair in October and a Summer Internship and Employment Day in February.
The HC Job Shop
Job Shop: This link will take you to the Houghton College Job Shop database.
Job Preparation & Job Search Sites
Helpful internet sites. Please note that this is NOT an exhaustive list of all that is available. If you find sites you think others might be interested in, please contact us.
Houghton College does not necessarily endorse the employers or listings included here. Candidates are encouraged to make their own inquiries about specific employers or job opportunities.
Additional links for career and job planning
- Care.com helps students find local child care, tutoring and senior care jobs. Students register for free and are found by families who need their help in a safe and secure way.
- CareerJet is an employment search engine for the United States. It allows you to search a growing selection of jobs listed on company sites and jobsites at one time - no more visiting each site individually.
- CollegeGrad.com is "the #1 Entry Level Job Site." Info and links for all facets of Job Prep and Job Search. Post your resume for FREE.
- "Current Jobs In . . . " is a job bulletin service in the following areas: Liberal Arts Graduates; Writing, Editing & Communications; Management & Business; Education; International; Art; and Performing Arts, classified by region. Contact Career Services to obtain a site log-in and password.
- disABLEDperson, Inc. is a faith based non-profit organization dedicated to helping people with disabilities find employment.
- The Employment Guide® website is completely free of charge for job seekers.
- Findjobsnet.com is a search site that combines jobs from different job search engines.
- Gotta Mentor is a site that contains tactical "how to" career advice and interview prep feedback tools. The site has more than 1,000 pieces of expert advice on topics such as resumes, interviewing, networking, finance, consulting, marketing, technology, healthcare, entrepreneurship, and more.
- www.Indeed.com provides access to millions of jobs and internships from sources such as Monster, HotJobs, CareerBuilder, the New York Times and Fortune 500 corporate websites. It draws from thousands of other sources as well, including small industry-specific job boards, local newspapers and associations.
- Intajob.com is a free online resume builder, offering job listings for review.
- JobALot.com FREE to job seekers.
- Job-Hunt offers connections to over 13,000 jobs nationwide, as well as career advice and preparation.
- Job Hunting Advice is a site offering free resume help.
- Job Search Page offers students instant an free access to millions of available jobs from across the web. With a quick search, students can find jobs from career websites, employers, staff agencies, newspapers, and more.
- Jobs Search Engine will retrieve jobs from Monster, CareerBuilder and several other websites for job seekers with one search. There is no charge for job seekers for the service
- Juju is a site that searches jobs from job boards and corporate career pages to make a job search easier and more effective.
- Library Career Website: Find out about potential jobs in library related science.
- Metro New York Jobs offers internship and entry level job postings from numerous employers throughout New York State. Houghton College receives weekly updates on new postings from the site.
- Peterson's Online Educational Resource
- Resume Dictionary is a free resource for students to improve resume writing skills and help them secure employment. It is a dictionary based on KSA (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) and new entries are made weekly, written by human resource directors, teachers, and employers.
- Salary Information (JobStarCentral) Info and links for finding salary ranges, how to negotiate, and hundreds of salary surveys.
- Student Center at MonsterTrak provides resume, cover letter, and interviewing guidelines. Also offers geographic and relocation information
Business Links and Sites
Environmental or Outdoor or Animal Related Sites
- Cool Works lists openings in national parks, cruise ships, resorts, camps.
- Equestrian Employment. HC Equestrian Center has a great page with many links to sites on the Internet.
- Great Green Careers offers thousands of job postings in emerging "green" fields.
- Green Collar Jobs Board contains thousands of green job listings from across the country, has green job experts on site to answer questions from job seekers, and posts informational articles for job seekers.
- Student Conservation Association the nation's leading provider of conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training for young adults.
Government and Locally Sponsored Sites
- Adguide's Employment The Easiest Job Site on the Net! Linked to www.CollegeRecruiter.com. Part-time and full-time jobs, work, and career opportunities.
- Federal Jobs ~ Please Note: It has come to our attention that the Federal employment data is no longer being made available to a number of sites, including America's Job Bank, HRS Federal Job Search, and others. For continuing Federal job information, we recommend that you visit http://www.usajobs.opm.gov.
- JobBank USA provides career information including job and resume database services to job candidates and employers.
- New York State Department of Civil Service. Job listings and qualifications for civil service fields.
- New York State Department of Labor feature employment services, job openings, labor market statistics.
- Western NY employment sites available through the web page of the Western New York Association of College Career Centers.
- Western New York Job Bank
Healthcare, Nursing and Other Related Sites
- Access Nurses - Travel Nurse Jobs is a great resource for nurses interested in travel and per diem work. Also contains sites for permanent positions!
- Expedient Medstaff Travel Nursing Jobs
- Healthcare Jobs site for jobs in medicine, dentistry, nursing, medical & dental techs, pharmacy, bio-tech, and medical devices. Review jobs and post resumes FREE. Includes health care news, research, & health resources links.
- HealthCareerWeb.com is a job-searching tool for people who have been in the healthcare industry for years and even those that are just starting out.
- Jobs Motion Nursing
- MyNursingCareer hosts this free site which includes complete directories of important nursing information, networking, resume writing and job search tactics, nursing associations, state boards for nursing, and a variety of dictionaries, pharmacology resources, and much more.
- Nursing Job Hub
- Nursing Jobs Register now to take advantage of this resource, which helps to place nurses throughout the U.S.
- Acess to thousands of nationwide travel nurse jobs, as well as information on how to get started and travel nursing news and resources - http://www.onwardhealthcare.com/.
Human Services/Social Work Sites
- Social Workers. Current job listings; other career information with links to other sites for social workers may be found at the Online Career Center.
- Social Work Careers. Site for information on the magazine, The New Social Worker, a national publication devoted to career guidance for social work students and those new to the profession. Links from this site to a social work message board, chat room, career center, and job postings.
Information and Technology Job Sites
- ComputerWorld is a weekly newspaper covering the information technology industry. Well written articles on the high tech job market, plus a massive database of IT openings, which can be searched by region or company.
- Information Technology. IT Jobs - My-IT-Career helps you find advertised IT jobs from Monster, CareerBuilder, and over 5,000 career sties.
International Employment Sites
- AERDO (The Association of Evangelical Relief & Development Organizations). Direct links to a number of job services and affiliates, including *American Leprosy Missions; *Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC); *Compassion Canada; *Compassion International; *Food for the Hungry, International; *International Justice Mission; *Northwest Medical Teams; *Samaritan's Purse; *World Concern.
- Footprints Recruiting
- Summer Jobs World-Wide search by country.
- Teach English Overseas. Educational Services International trains and sends people to teach English, business/law in Muslim Central Asia, Russia, China, Central Europe, Turkey, Morocco. Summer and all year positions. All ages, majors, degrees welcome.
Ministry and Christian Employment Sites
- Christian Jobs website.
- Intercristo is a comprehensive Christian job referral network for those wanting to find employment in Christian organizations, missions, churches, schools. You can also find connections to summer camp jobs.
- MinistryEmployment. Canadian based site provides free access to ministry
- MinistrySource. Jobs in all areas of ministry.
- Biorole Scientific Solutions, Inc. is a data base for FREE posting of your resume in the sciences, quality assurance, and other areas in the Biopharmaceutical industry.
- Chemical Industry Supplier Registry - a manual compilation of chemical suppliers which includes new projects, free magazines, jobs, news, and events.
- Science Jobs.com is a resource for those seeking a job in the scientific arena. Multiple listings and a wide variety of fields.
Teacher and School District Information
- Association of Christian Schools International (fee charged for 90-day advertisement)
- www.christianteachingjobs.com is a new service dedicated to making the job placement process easier and more efficient. Place your resume on the site for FREE so hundreds of school administrators can see it.
- Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Higher Education Jobs in the Humanities - Web site for opportunities in higher education - post a job or find a job.
- Library Career Website: Find out about potential jobs in library related science.
- SchoolSpring.com is a free service for all classification and teachers areas K-12, administrators, support staff, and more!
- Sites for Teachers: Free, detailed information on U.S. private and public schools, community & demographic data, maps of surrounding areas.
- Teach for America
- www.trd.org (a service of the Western New York Assoc. of College Career Centers)
- Western New York School District Registry
Other Listings and Places to Post Your Resume
- Career Path's database consists of the want ads of 23 major market newspapers. Updated daily.
- College Grad Hunter is the largest open access web site dedicated to college students and recent graduates. Has database of 4500 companies with entry level job postings, plus numerous helps on resumes, interviews, job preparation, etc.
- College.wsj.com offers articles on all aspects of job hunting, a database of over 30,000 jobs, and more sponsored by the Wall Street Journal.
- The Job Seeker, a comprehensive listing of jobs in many fields.
- Non-Profit Employment Website sponsored by ACCESS: Networking in the Public Interest is the only comprehensive national resource for employment opportunities and career development for non-profit organizations.
- TrueCareers.com is an on-line job search and match site devoted to connecting college and graduate level students with prospective employers.
- Yahoo.com provides search by state for many different fields, from legal to construction, financial services to teaching, sales, media, health care.