1. Games will be played with 6 players (5 court players and 1 goalkeeper). A minimum of 4 players is needed to start (1 must be a goalkeeper). Teams will have until 10 minutes after starting time to field a team, otherwise the game will be forfeited.
2. The only player allowed to be in the goal area is the goalkeeper. If an offensive player enters the area, possession will be given to the other team. If a defensive player enters the area, the offense will be awarded a free throw. An offensive player may land in the goal area after a shot if they take off from outside the arc.
3. The ball may touch any part of the body except the feet. Violations will result in a free throw from the point of infraction.
4. The goalkeeper may use any part of his/her body to stop the ball if he/she is in the goal area.
5. The ball may be held for a maximum of 5 seconds. A 5-second violation results in a free throw.
6. After a goal is scored, a throw-on is awarded at center court to the team that was just scored upon. The throw-on also occurs at the beginning of each half.
7. Mode of travel - 3 steps, 1 bounce, and 3 more steps is the farthest that one person can travel at any one time. After this travel, a pass or shot must be taken.
8. If an offensive player's shot hits the goalkeeper, goal posts, or cross bar and comes out of the goal area the ball is still in play.
9. If the ball hits the wall behind the goal, it is the goalkeepers ball even if it deflects off the goalkeeper first. If the ball hits the wall after last touching any other defender, the offense will take a corner throw-on.
10. Body Contact: a player may stand his/her ground to prevent an attacker from breaking through the defense, but he/she may not run into a player.
11. A player may not strike a ball from another players hands.
12. Intentional or flagrant fouls will result in a one minute penalty where the offending team will play down 1 player. The player committing the foul must serve the 1-minute penalty.
13. Games will consist of two 20-minute halves with a 5-minute overtime. Each team will be allowed 1 time-out for the game with an additional time-out in overtime.
14. Charging and Blocking fouls will be called in accordance with basketball rules.
15. Any ball which is in the goal area and is on the ground is considered to belong to the goalkeeper.
16. Roster size for handball is 12 players (3 members may be non-students). There must be at least 3 women on the floor at all times.
17. Teams listed first on the schedule will be the home team and wear white shirts. The second team listed must wear dark shirts.
If there are any questions please contact the intramural director.