Early Arrival Policy
All students who wish to arrive early to Houghton for the fall semester must be approved through the Early Arrival process as described below. Faculty, Staff and Individual Students must submit the Early Arrival Request Form no later than July 31st.
Early Arrival for Official College Functions
If students are returning due to involvement in an official college function (ie. Athletics, on-campus jobs, student organization leadership), early arrival requests will be submitted by the sponsoring faculty or staff member. Students organizations who are hosting students back to campus early (CAB, Student Government, STAR, etc.) must have their requests submitted by the sponsoring staff or faculty advisor. Only faculty or staff members should fill out the Early Arrival Organization/Department Request form. The Residence Life & Housing Office will communicate your arrival information to you by August 7th.
Students not invited by faculty or staff for official college functions are not generally permitted to live in college-owned housing prior to the official college opening dates as printed on the college calendar unless they meet one of the conditions below. All requests for individual early arrivals must be submitted using the Individual Early Arrival Request Form by July 31st. Requests after this date will not be considered.
Requests by students not invited by faculty or staff will only be approved under the following conditions:
- Sibling(s) of an approved student and do not live within 75 miles of Houghton’s Main campus. Students in this category will be charged $25.00 per day that they are in campus housing prior to the official opening of college residences.
- Students with long drives to campus (400+ miles from home address). These approvals will only allow students to arrive one day earlier than other returning students.
- Students with extenuating circumstances. These approvals will be given out very sparingly and students will be charged $75.00 per night that they are in campus housing prior to the official opening of college residences.
Please be aware of the following items if you are approved for an individual early arrival:
- Students will be responsible to provide their own meals before the official start of the semester board plan (dinner the Saturday before classes begin) and can use cash at our dining facilities.
- No individual arrivals will be granted before Thursday, August 30th unless it is for a sibling of a student who has been approved for an official campus function or program.
- Payment will be required before students are permitted to move into housing. Payment details will be outlined in the email sent to students with approved requests.
Requests in the following categories by students not invited by faculty or staff will generally not be approved:
- Local students (home address within 75 miles of Houghton‘s main campus) without official college responsibilities.
- Dropping off personal belongings before a student begins living in college housing.
- Unapproved early arrivals: students showing up to campus without prior permission and desiring to stay in college housing will be charged $100.00 per night.
- Students with approved roommates will not be allowed into campus housing early unless approved on their own merits under Houghton‘s early arrival policy.
- Students with summer leases ending before college residences open. It is the student‘s responsibility to arrange housing for the full extent of the summer.
- Students returning for non-college related business, employment, or activities. This includes, but is not limited to off-campus employment, volunteer work, or other activities. It is the student‘s responsibility to secure off-campus housing for these activities prior to the official opening of the residences.
All approvals or denials of requests will be communicated via email by August 7th.