Early Arrival Policy
Students not invited by faculty or staff for official college functions are not generally permitted to live in college-owned housing prior to the official college opening dates as printed on the college calendar unless they meet one of the conditions below. All requests for individual early arrival must be submitted to the online Individual Early Arrival Request Form by July 31st. Requests after this date will not be considered.
Requests by students not invited by faculty or staff will generally be approved under the following conditions:
- Sibling(s) of an approved student and do not live within 75 miles of Houghton’s Main campus. Students in this category will be charged $25.00 per day that they are in campus housing prior to the official opening of college residences.
- Students with long drives to campus (400+ miles from home address).
- Students with extenuating circumstances. These approvals will be given out very sparingly and students will be charged $75.00 per night that they are in campus housing prior to the official opening of college residences.
Please be aware of the following items if you are approved for an individual early arrival:
- Students will be responsible to provide their own meals before the official start of the semester board plan (dinner the Saturday before classes begin) and can use cash at our dining facilities.
- No individual arrivals will be granted before Thursday, August 30th unless it is for a sibling of a student who has been approved for an official campus function or program.
- Payment will be required before students are permitted to move into housing. Payment details will be outlined in the email sent to students with approved requests.
Requests in the following categories by students not invited by faculty or staff will generally not be approved:
- Local students (home address within 75 miles of Houghton‘s main campus) without official college responsibilities.
- Dropping off personal belongings before a student begins living in college housing.
- Unapproved early arrivals: students showing up to campus without prior permission and desiring to stay in college housing will be charged $100.00 per night.
- Students with approved roommates will not be allowed into campus housing early unless approved on their own merits under Houghton‘s early arrival policy.
- Students with summer leases ending before college residences open. It is the student‘s responsibility to arrange housing for the full extent of the summer.
- Students returning for non-college related business, employment, or activities. This includes, but is not limited to off-campus employment, volunteer work, or other activities. It is the student‘s responsibility to secure off-campus housing for these activities prior to the official opening of the residences.
All approvals or denials of requests will be communicated via email by August 8th.
Early Arrival for Official College Functions
Requests for students arriving on campus early for official college functions will be submitted by the sponsoring faculty or staff member. Students Organizations who are hosting students back to campus early (CAB, Student Government, STAR, etc.) must have their requests submitted by the sponsoring staff or faculty advisor. The Residence Life & Housing Office will communicate your arrival information to you by August 8th.