Hunting policies as established by Houghton College are as follows:
- Firearm hunting is prohibited on college property. Possession of a firearm is specifically forbidden on all college property.
- Bow hunting is allowed on specific woodlot properties as determined by the VP for Finance.
- A permit must be obtained in writing from the Safety and Security Office prior to hunting. This permit must be carried at all times while hunting on college property, and presented upon request.
- This permit is for the holder only and does not give the holder permission to bring guests to hunt on Houghton College property.
- Hunting is restricted to Houghton College employees and their immediate families, students and Alumni.
- Houghton College has adopted the principles of QDM (Quality Deer Management) and expects those who hunt on college property to adhere to them as well. Specifically, hunters over 18 years old will take only adult buck (at least three points on one side) and adult doe. Hunters 18 and younger may take any legal deer.
- Compliance with all applicable laws must be observed.
- The areas designated for hunting may change as the needs of the college change.
- Temporary tree stands may be used, but no permanent stands may be placed, and no trees (large or small) shall be damaged.
- All deer harvested on Houghton College property will be reported to the Safety and Security Office.
- The VP for finance may, at his or her discretion, allow others to hunt on college property.