Patient's Rights and Responsibilities
Students at Houghton College should be aware of the following Rights and Responsibilities in regard to their health care.
The Right to:
- Treatment with consideration, respect and dignity
- Privacy during physical examinations, interviews and discussions
- Confidentiality of all records and disclosures except as required by law or when the patient gives written consent for release of information is given.
- Participate in decision-making involving one’s own wellness and health care interventions
- Information presented in understandable terms regarding diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, possible risks, and the medical consequences of refusing treatment.
- An explanation of fees.
- Request a specific provider and/or obtain a second opinion.
- Address questions, suggestions or grievances to the provider, Director of Student Health Services or VP for Student Life.
The Responsibility to:
- Keep and be on time for appointments and, if necessary, cancel appointments as far in advance as possible.
- Respond to health care providers and staff with courtesy.
- Describe symptoms and details of condition honestly.
- Provide the health care provider with accurate information about past and current medical conditions, treatments and medications
- Follow instructions for treatments and medications.
- Ask for clarification when needed.
- Provide insurance information on request.
View More +
An active student in the business program, Amara Graham says “Houghton has proven to be one of the best decisions I have made because it has helped me to find, rebuild, and recreate my life, goals and inner aspirations.”
View More +
An analytical mind and passion for connecting with and understanding people drew Charis Thompson to psychology. While she pursues her studies with graduate school for marriage and family therapy in mind, Charis loves the opportunities for diverse learnin