Patient's Rights and Responsibilities
Students at Houghton College should be aware of the following Rights and Responsibilities in regard to their health care.
The Right to:
- Treatment with consideration, respect and dignity
- Privacy during physical examinations, interviews and discussions
- Confidentiality of all records and disclosures except as required by law or when the patient gives written consent for release of information is given.
- Participate in decision-making involving one’s own wellness and health care interventions
- Information presented in understandable terms regarding diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, possible risks, and the medical consequences of refusing treatment.
- An explanation of fees.
- Request a specific provider and/or obtain a second opinion.
- Address questions, suggestions or grievances to the provider, Director of Student Health Services or VP for Student Life.
The Responsibility to:
- Keep and be on time for appointments and, if necessary, cancel appointments as far in advance as possible.
- Respond to health care providers and staff with courtesy.
- Describe symptoms and details of condition honestly.
- Provide the health care provider with accurate information about past and current medical conditions, treatments and medications
- Follow instructions for treatments and medications.
- Ask for clarification when needed.
- Provide insurance information on request.